No announcement yet.

AMD A10-7870K Godavari: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For clarity, I wasn't saying that the shader compiler difference accounted for all of the performance delta, just that it accounted for a big enough chunk that the difference between drivers didn't var as much between apps on Kaveri as on a dGPU, where you either have more shader cores or such sucky performance nobody looks at performance deltas.
    Test signature

Comment

Well, i am not sure about perfect scalable performance delta between dGPU and Kaveri as both use TTM (designed because of dGPUs) down to the same mapped BOs in userspace mesa.

Comment

How's the stutter? That's a lot more important real-world question than simple framerate.

Reshuffling everything in memory makes a lot worse gaming experience than just drawing 30 FPS, and in that article about the new memory manager, I remember the new memory management code was less stuttery than the old one-or Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
          How's the stutter? That's a lot more important real-world question than simple framerate.
          Stutter is supported

Too me both frame rate and less stutter are valuable, well both can be awfull sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Interesting... the performance offset between all-open and Catalyst seems more consistent between applications than it has been on dGPU.

Not sure what that means yet but it seems like useful information
            Maybe because with an APU you're more than likely memory constrained (iGPU<->DDR3), but not bus constrained (iGPU<->CPU), and you're almost guaranteed to be running at the same clock between radeon and Catalyst, whereas with a dGPU you may or may not be (especially if the dGPU is throttling due to temperature). Seems like APU's iGPUs don't get as hot as a dGPU, besides--whether that's because the RAM is elsewhere or because the APU has better cooling or a lower TDP, I don't know.

Comment

Hi Michael

Could you run The 7870k against this test
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be interesting to see how the 7870k does against discrete cards and Intel igp graphics.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X