AMD's Carrizo Launches: New Laptops In The Weeks Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    BTW it wasn't just an arbitrary decision to change sockets - Carrizo includes the southbridge/FCH on die (like Kabini/Mullins/Beema) so the signals coming out of the chip are non-trivially different from KV. This is also what allowed socket compatibility between Carrizo and Carrizo-L.
    I guessed something like that. But I assume AM1 is still different enough (HSA <1.0 and so on) that it is still a different socket (even though it is an A68M+APU+whatsoever else SoC?

I hope we will finally see some decent Laptops - means matte 16:10 IPS HD(+) panels, good keyboard, many interfaces and long battery runtime (and Coreboot preinstalled, come on, one must have dreams). But this is up to the vendors then. Even though it is possible with AMD APUs (anybody remembers AMD's reference model?) barely anybody did it. I'll see if something happens over there at openlunchbox.

I just hope I'll have some money in the moment when some good Carrizo Laptop is out.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Yeah, AM1 only has pins for single channel memory IIRC while Carrizo is dual-channel.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yeah, AM1 only has pins for single channel memory IIRC while Carrizo is dual-channel.
        Ah right. There was something. Thanks. Yes, as far as I know it is like most of the smaller chips since channel.
        But once it comes soldered the "socket" doesn't really matter. Though some socketed version is always nice.
        Someone should really make a wiki from all those answers of you and your team.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Any word on a desktop upgrade? I built a very inexpensive entry level gaming RIG for my son using a Kaveri AMD APU and it works incredibly well for the money. I would love to upgrade his machine to a newer AMD APU, especially if they keep mobo compatibility.

Looks like it won't happen for Carrizo, but maybe for Carrizo+1?
          http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-...ity-platforms/
          Next year IIRC and they're claiming to have some good IPC efficiency gains this time around... they're also claiming GPU redeisgn with perf increase and MUCH improved power efficiency, either way if they don't they're dead...

carrizo sounds good on paper(then again so did bulldozer) but I'll wait to see some real hardware and testing first as AMD has ALWAYS completely sucked at power management.

Comment

Working...
          X