Future of my support for ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
    Why do you like w3schools.com's numbers (whoever they are) to say...infoweek?
    because I don't believe OS X could possibly be as prevalent as to obtain 8% market share. I only know 3 people who use it, while a lot of people at uni dualboot with vista or go straight linux.

During the same period, Linux has also increased market share, rising to 0.8% of the market in June from 0.47%
    That number is just way too small. Maybe valid for a particular region, but globally linux is a lot more widespread than that.

Comment

Unfortunately with all of the variations and multi-boot capabilities (my cousin runs a slew of OS's on his laptop), measuring linux's popularitiy is always difficult.

Also think that both Apple and Microsoft have sold their computers in major retail centers. People have sold Apple to customers, and Windows to customers. No linux computers were available at that time. Until now. Again, wait a couple years for the numbers to catch up, it is on the rise.

Comment

This seems the right place to add my feelings about amd/ati. For the last few years I've been a real nvidea fan. Al my systems run on a nvidea based gpu, most of my friends to.

Only the latest development of amd/ati has changed my and as I hear most of my (technical) friends their minds about choosing for nvidea. We feel that amd/ati is delivering a very good product for an even beter price.

Also we like the way amd/ati is supporting linux better and better nowadays. Especially the 780g chipset in combination with a linux based htpc is getting famous quick (mostly mythtv / mythBuntu). Most of my friends consider bying one for their next htpc. Even the more hardheaded dreambox dudes consider bying that board in combination with mythTV for their dish setups. Now linux only needs hardware based mpeg4 encoding... hint hint hint.

So keep up the good work!

Comment

3% on preinstalled systems sold. Not soo bad.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            My best guess right now is that Linux is somewhere between 3% to 5%
            I am doing some networking stuff in a students home. There roughly 120people living here. 2 or 3, at some point 7-10 are/were using linux (there is always some fluctuation). 1 person I know about uses macosx. The rest winxp or vista. Some people have linux installed as second os but almost never use it. That is the people I spoke to. I didn't talk with everybody, but with enough people to make it a good sample.

So 3-5% looks like a good number.

Comment

This is one of the interesting demographic twists. Linux client usage seems to be quite a bit higher with younger users. The big marketing debate is whether that will translate into a demographic bump following those users as they get older, or whether those users will tend to switch over time.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                This is one of the interesting demographic twists. Linux client usage seems to be quite a bit higher with younger users. The big marketing debate is whether that will translate into a demographic bump following those users as they get older, or whether those users will tend to switch over time.
                No one knows that, but my younger brother say: "If new Wolfenstain will have linux client, i will not have any reason to switch".

P.S. Congrat for 1k posts

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  No one knows that, but my younger brother say: "If new Wolfenstain will have linux client, i will not have any reason to switch".

P.S. Congrat for 1k posts
                  I'd certainly hope so. But all previous Wolfenstein games had Linux clients, so I guess this one will have a Linux client too :/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think it will be influenced greatly by the office environment in which they are employed. If in large companies that are entrenched with MS they will have little choice but to switch. Even if in subgroups where they are allowed to run linux, the powerpoint presentations and things like that, that will not look right will also force them to switch. Maybe some smaller offices with higher tech people will be able to use linux for all machines.

I personally have nothing against microsoft and have enjoyed their product for many years. But, I was a little put off by having to move a modem from one machine to another just to register XP, particularly when the XP drivers for the modem were not yet in place. I am also not happy with the architecture that allows so many of these goofy virus/worm/bugs in their programs and scripts. Maybe vista is better?

Comment

Be assured, Vista is NOT better... it's even worse . XP is still the way to go if you need a Windows around for one reason or the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X