No announcement yet.

Ati-Driver 8.6/8.7 freeze on 32/64 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you run other high end 3d graphics cards in the same system, or is it a new build ?
    Test signature

Comment

It's a fresh build.

Comment

#bridgeman:
        I finally got reply from the replacement center today ( god damn this took ages!!! ). They confirm the card I obtained has a defect. It's being replaced now ( send back to ATI... geez... this going to take ages again!!! ). So the experiences in this topic are so far void until I get the new card.

Comment

Here another card that it freezes under Linux and Windows Vista, with WinXP it is perfect.

4850 + mainboard asus P5Q

THE PROBLEM IS THE *FGLRX* DRIVER!!!
          Last edited by bugmenot; 19 August 2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this has any relevance but while booting up glance at the topside of the card and see how many of the 4 red leds are lit. I had only 3 of them lit which already made me get suspicious if something could be wrong since from my experience with electronics ( from the company I am in for the IT ) leds are usually meant to be lit all... or else something is wrong. Let's see... still waiting for the replacement card

Comment

Finally got the replacement card. I plugged it in and this are the results.

Windows:
              Starting a game as soon as the first 3D is rendered it shows a couple of frames and then full-freeze. After some seconds exit to desktop, 4-bit colors, error message about ati2dvag stopped working normally and reboot bla bla. WTF?! At least in contrary to the last time it did not reboot automagically but still unworkable!

Linux:
              glxgears runs now for maybe 30 seconds before doing a full-freeze. Hard reboot required. unworkable!

Jesus... what the fuck is going on here? This is now the second card and it does run neither on Windows nor on Linux and keeps locking up the machine. I'm out of ideas. This machine is now dead since weeks.

About the error in windows ( the only lead we have so far ) the internet says "deadloop in driver". This would mean you ati guys messed up heavily in your drivers. I used for Windows the newest driver from the website, status today. For Linux I used 822 ( gentoo numbering, not sure what it refers to ). I'm really in a dire need for a solution since this machine is now de-factor dead since weeks.

Comment

You could have gotten a 2nd bad board. Customer reviews at newegg show this happening a little too frequently across the whole gamut of products.

Do you have or can you borrow a different graphics card to try out? This would isolate other system components. If problem using other card such as nvidia then you know problem is in mboard or powersupply.

You said bios had optimised settings. I've had problems with these in past on a machine years ago (iwill mboard) and machine chose wrong memory settings. Look on net for your specific memory and see what others are using. See if that matches your bios. I didn't read through all previous posts but maybe you ran memtest?

I don't know how you could verify powersupply is not problem unless you had a full set of other equipment or if you had a separate power supply you could try with this equipment. (although it is pain to connect those little mboard connecters at the front/bottom.)

Comment

Currently no board of the same scale. Maybe though I can ask on my local shop corner if he has some time and a spare card to haul into the beast to see if it works. I'm though rather positive it's not a HW problem since with the new card I could so far only crash the system using 3D in contrary to the defunct old card which blew also during 2D.

The memtest though would be an idea. The problem seems to be unpredictable.

What goes for the mobo it's mostly set to Auto all the way. I'm not sure if this can cause troubles, especially with this thing called "AI" which my motherboard line loves to brag about. But I'll see what the net knows about this.

Comment

- Mem-Check: Everything OK
                    - BIOS Updated: Still the same problem ( although now Windows auto-rebooted... like with the broken card )

Comment

I guess you have got a good ati resistant board

Comment

Working...
                      X