This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebuild with 2.6.26 patch

Here is an ebuild file I made for Gentoo users who wish to use Kernel 2.6.26. I took it from the ebuild in the previous release, changed the download link and version number, and added the patch Kano posted before (with the paths fixed). I can't guarantee it's perfect but it seems to work.

If you're wondering why it's 8.502 instead of 8.512, it's only so that my custom ebuild will be overridden by the real ebuild when Gentoo gets the real ebuild into portage.

http://www.undergroundcircus.net/ati...s-8.502.ebuild
    http://www.undergroundcircus.net/kernel-2.6.26.patch

Download the above files. Put ati-drivers-8.502.ebuild in /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers . Put the kernel patch file into /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files AND into /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files/8.476 (because I say so is why).

cd /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers
    ebuild ati-drivers-8.502.ebuild manifest
    emerge ati-drivers

Voila! If you have problems I can provide only very limited support.
    Last edited by benwick; 25 July 2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Initially Catalyst 8.7 didn't change anything regarding screen corruption for me on Gentoo amd64, xorg 7.3 (xorg-server 1.4.2) with a
      Radeon HD 4850.

However, after adding all X packages to package.keywords (I had most of them there, but seemed to have forgotten a few libraries / headers) and unmerging all X packages and then re-emerging the "xorg-x11" "xorg-server" packages I don't get any corruption anymore.

I tested this with wine and Kaffeine (xine).

Comment

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232609

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
          This is my first post, so I just have to get this out of the way: THANK YOU AMD - my system is broken and doesn't play games
          Am I the only one who went LOL at that one?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Am I the only one who went LOL at that one?
            I just hate it when people bite the hand that's trying very hard to feed them.

I basically have no usable 3d though. compiz reports texture_from_pixmap is not present, ET:QW segfaults when loading a map, doom3 segfaults before showing the main menu, Cedega games seem to die whenever trying to do something 3d. Quake4 does get into the game, but all the textures are black and even on "low quality" performance is horrible.

If bridgman doesn't have any ideas given my logs on page 7, my next step is to try a clean install of something (maybe Ubuntu 64/32, maybe something else), to see if it's anything to do with my OS.

Comment

I can't even resize a window in Compiz with fglrx. Every time I try, everything freezes for about 6 to 8 seconds. Oh yes, that's a very "pro" driver indeed :P

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                I just hate it when people bite the hand that's trying very hard to feed them.

I basically have no usable 3d though. compiz reports texture_from_pixmap is not present, ET:QW segfaults when loading a map, doom3 segfaults before showing the main menu, Cedega games seem to die whenever trying to do something 3d. Quake4 does get into the game, but all the textures are black and even on "low quality" performance is horrible.

If bridgman doesn't have any ideas given my logs on page 7, my next step is to try a clean install of something (maybe Ubuntu 64/32, maybe something else), to see if it's anything to do with my OS.
                I don't see anything obviously wrong with any of the files, but those mtrr's still seem really wrong. I would probably try a fresh install of Ubuntu 32-bit, get the 8.7 download, then use the installer to build a package for Ubuntu and try that.
                Test signature

Comment

With 8.5 onwards I was getting the corrupted screen on Gnome System Monitor and some apps had messed up colours. There was also the screen corruption when running Wine.

I removed every trace of the current drivers and installed 8.7. Now only Wine gives the screen corruption.

Comment

hi
                    is video tearing fixed ?

Comment

Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
                      hi
                      is video tearing fixed ?
                      Nope. Still there and kicking.

Comment

Working...
                      X