AMD Catalyst 8.6 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
    about underscan it's ok that's it the default, like in windows drivers, however here the settings are not kept, so if I change the resolution or just reboot the computer the settings are lost, so I created a script that I run manually, but well I shouldn't have, like in windows.
    Agreed. We're trying to work up instructions to give you a persistent setting.

about tearing there is a big tear at the 2/3 bottom of the screen, I don't know if a screenshot can take that since it's overlay, I will try later.
    We actually shifted from using overlay to using textured video beginning with the 5xx family (X1xxx) so the video should show up in a screen capture.

I have seen a topic here where people complain about tearing on 8.5 and 8.6 not only with hd4850
    The problem here is that "tearing" is used to describe a whole heap of different symptoms, each with a completely different root cause, some fixable via configuration and others not :

- edge tearing when moving windows around
    - discontinuities within a video window during fast motion
    - actual distortion/garbling within the video related to refresh

It's a bit hard to distinguish between the last two because the impact of unsynced redraw is hugely content dependent, but screen caps should help.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Agreed. We're trying to work up instructions to give you a persistent setting.

We actually shifted from using overlay to using textured video beginning with the 5xx family (X1xxx) so the video should show up in a screen capture.
      I didn't noticed tearing on glxgears when vertical sync was activated
      don't know if this can help you

the tearing in the videos is like the vertical synchronisation is done to early
      this happen not matter the refresh rate, in 24hz 50hz or 60hz
      at worst I should see judering
      the Q9300 have no problem playing videos in 720p or 1080p

it's like if only 2/3 of the video is drawed in the buffer and that the video device try to display it
      or maybe the buffer is filed to late

maybe there is an option to sync on textured video that I didn't saw in aticonfig

Comment

Oh yeah, just wanted to share yet another AGP problem with you:
        Whenever I start a second X server on VT 9 (i.e. startx -- :2), I get no 3d accel on that server, though it works perfectly fine on the first one:
        Xorg.log says:
        Code:
        (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f004e1b bridge: 0x1039/0x0746
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f004f1a
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0x3489660928)
        (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] Failed to set AGP mode!
        (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
        (II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM buffer queue setup: nbufs = 100 bufsize = 65536
        and later of course fails initing DRI because of that.
        IIRC this was introduced in 8.5 and is still existant in 8.6.

This is on Fedora 8 (kernel 2.6.24) using a Sapphire X1600 AGP 512.

Hope this gets fixed for 8.7

Comment

I didn't noticed tearing on glxgears when vertical sync was activated
          don't know if this can help you

the tearing in the videos is like the vertical synchronisation is done to early
          this happen not matter the refresh rate, in 24hz 50hz or 60hz
          at worst I should see judering
          the Q9300 have no problem playing videos in 720p or 1080p

it's like if only 2/3 of the video is drawed in the buffer and that the video device try to display it
          or maybe the buffer is filed to late

maybe there is an option to sync on textured video that I didn't saw in aticonfig
          I am on windows right now, and I have also this bad tearing on catalyst 8.6
          I have took screenshot on linux the tearing is visible, it's in fact even worse on the screenshot than when video is played, because almost all the image is garbeled on high movements like hancock trailer in 1080p.

Comment

I am on windows right now, and I have also this bad tearing on catalyst 8.6
            I have took screenshot on linux the tearing is visible, it's in fact even worse on the screenshot than when video is played, because almost all the image is garbeled on high movements like hancock trailer in 1080p.
            Any chance you could post the screenshot ? Maybe tack it onto bug report 1085 along with card & driver info ?

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1085
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Any chance you could post the screenshot ? Maybe tack it onto bug report 1085 along with card & driver info ?

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1085
              the screenshot is done, but it's on the linux side, I didn't uploaded it yet somewhere

Comment

here is a screenshot (note, this captured multiple tears when there is usually only one tear at a time)

The white line should be solid as it moves from right to left.
                Here is a video you can use to test with: TearTest.ts (6MB, 1080i)

With XVideo renderer, the tearing moves from bottom to top. With GL renderer, the tearing always occurs near the top of the screen in the same place.

ubuntu/hardy, latest 8.6 drivers, with compiz off
                Last edited by JarrettV; 25 June 2008, 12:00 PM.

Comment

8.6 didn't work for me

I tried 8.6 yesterday, but after logging of in Ubuntu (7.04), I got screen corruption. The second time I tried, the screen went even black on logging of. My system:

Ati Radeon 9500pro (agp)
                  tyan tiger MP
                  dual Athlon 1Ghz
                  1.5 Gb memory
                  Ubuntu 7.04 (all updates installed)
                  using a dual screen setup (having two separate X screens for one user)

Another thing I noticed: glxinfo didn't stop running, last line was something ending in Ncon, but the program was still running after that last line.

Unfortunately for me this release was a step back (in the otherwise very promising direction), so I went back to 8.5 which worked fine for me. And off course I hope for a good working 8.7 release, especially since I want to buy a new 4870 AMD graphics card around that time (yes, you notice it: I am confident that the AMD drivers will one day be excellent).

Comment

Doesn't look as bad as this. But it is really noticeable when you watch movies. Offen happens when the picture is slowly scrolling from left to right or right to left. Mplayer 1.0_rc2_p26753, XV output, FGLRX 8.6, Gentoo X86_64, Xorg 7.2.

Paused:

Comment

• Now that Bridgman re-appeared I want to ask him a quick and technical question:

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                      Hey, but clock gating was enabled for all chips!? even M76? by default? or there are options to set it?

and is it somehow related to POWERplay? because powerplay was not enabled for my M76, and i cannot find anywhere that clock gating was enabled....
                      as of today I'm not sure my M76 is taking advantage of clock gating and I would like it to be taking advantage of it! Since there's no powerplay as of today for my M76 (shame on you ATi )

So Bridgman please please tell me!

Comment

Working...
                      X