black border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, this sounds like you have two separate problems :

- you have overscan turned on in the TV (just look for an option like "display all" or "display full" or "full screen" etc..

- your TV isn't liking the 720p timing

Lets try to fix the overscan first. That will be in the TV menus somewhere.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Yep, this sounds like you have two separate problems :

- you have overscan turned on in the TV (just look for an option like "display all" or "display full" or "full screen" etc..

- your TV isn't liking the 720p timing

Lets try to fix the overscan first. That will be in the TV menus somewhere.
      TV options: There is no option for overscan on the TV. There are zoom options (zoom, wide zoom, normal), but it is in normal and has always been. If I zoom in, it crops much more. If there is no option like "full screen" (and I haven't found one), the way I fixed it under XP was to use the slightly lower resolution. Is there no way to have the fglrx drivers use an odd resolution?

On the 720p timing, perhaps that is the case... But why? How? I thought DVI/HDMI was digital? How would timing fit in? I don't understand how DVI/HDMI send video data--I know how frequencies and timings work on analog VGA, but not here...

I appreciate the assistance and expertise here. What information can I give to help diagnose what's going on?

Andy-

Comment

Originally posted by am7146 View Post
        TV options: There is no option for overscan on the TV. There are zoom options (zoom, wide zoom, normal), but it is in normal and has always been. If I zoom in, it crops much more.
        That's really wierd... I haven't seen that before on a digital HDTV.

If there is no option like "full screen" (and I haven't found one), the way I fixed it under XP was to use the slightly lower resolution. Is there no way to have the fglrx drivers use an odd resolution?
        There may be but I'm not sure of the details, will ask.

On the 720p timing, perhaps that is the case... But why? How? I thought DVI/HDMI was digital? How would timing fit in? I don't understand how DVI/HDMI send video data--I know how frequencies and timings work on analog VGA, but not here...
        Digital is not really that much different from analog. You still have H and V sync signals, and they still provide the reference timing for the video information -- it's just that (a) the video information itself is transmitted as a digital stream rather than an analog stream, (b) usually the display chooses its own scanning frequencies and digitally upscales/downscales the incoming data to match its native resolution. I think the sync signals are multiplexed onto one of the colours (blue ?) rather than having separate wires but that's no different from having "sync on green" with an analog display.

I appreciate the assistance and expertise here. What information can I give to help diagnose what's going on?
        I'm not sure right now

What is the model number of your display ?

EDIT - never mind, found it in the Ubuntu thread. OK, it's a KLV-32M1 - 1366x768 native (that's a pretty common res for Sony). Seems to have some known problems running as a computer display and a couple of other users also suggested a lower than standard resolution. Maybe the manual will have some clues...

BTW we store persistent setting information in a file called amdpcsdb (AMD Persistent Configuration Store Data Base or something like that). The aticonfig command is the best way to manipulate it.

Also, from your error messages when running aticonfig I'm wondering if the tmds1 parameter was wrong, it varies from system to system. I think there is an aticonfig command to dump out information on connected displays, can you try to find that and paste the results ?
        Last edited by bridgman; 26 September 2008, 05:31 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

According the the manual you should have four Screen options : Normal, Wide, Wide Zoom, and Full. You should be using Full. You're not supposed to be able to select Normal when the TV is receiving a 720p signal so I suspect you may be running 1280x720 monitor timing (which your TV probably won't accept) rather than 720p TV timing.

No idea if the driver can actually generate 720p TV timing with your card over DVI (I suspect we may only enable them over native HDMI connectors) but another thing to ask. The point here is that AFAIK the driver thinks you are driving a normal monitor via DVI connector so is using monitor timing (which your display is not designed to accept) rather than TV timing.
          Test signature

Comment

Black border with fglrx rendered modes.

Greetings,

I also get these black boarders. However; for me they only show up on what I will call "fglrx rendered modes" ie modes not native to my LCD-TV but created by fglrx thus adding additional modes to said tv. The TV is a sharp GP1U connected via DVI-D. I've tried all the commands, but they seem to be specific to the HDMI interface.

All "native" modes sync perfectly with no boarder. During "flgrx rendered modes" the TV syncs on the next largest "native" mode but leave 1/4" black boarder on screen. I've tried all the tv's scaling modes, none provide relief.

I greatly appreciate these additional modes as 1360x768 = to small 1920x1080 = to large 1440x900/1680x1050 = just right. I sit 4 - 6 feet from the tv. I realize these are not actually the correct aspect.

Any input would be appreciated.

MrMstrd

EDIT:
            I'm running an 2900pro 1GB.
            Last edited by MrMstrd; 29 September 2008, 03:45 PM. Reason: Video card clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              According the the manual you should have four Screen options : Normal, Wide, Wide Zoom, and Full. You should be using Full. You're not supposed to be able to select Normal when the TV is receiving a 720p signal so I suspect you may be running 1280x720 monitor timing (which your TV probably won't accept) rather than 720p TV timing.

No idea if the driver can actually generate 720p TV timing with your card over DVI (I suspect we may only enable them over native HDMI connectors) but another thing to ask. The point here is that AFAIK the driver thinks you are driving a normal monitor via DVI connector so is using monitor timing (which your display is not designed to accept) rather than TV timing.
              Just checked. It's been set to "Full" (that's what I meant when I said "Normal" :-p ). In 720p I can flip through all the different zooms (and that just crops out much more, of course).

So, if it just always overscans, can I just set it to 1280x720 and set the working resolution to be 1216x680?

Andy-

Comment

Black borders with HD4870 and catalyst 8.6

Hi,

I upgraded my media center from 8800GTS to HD4870. It runs dual boot Ubuntu (freevo) and windows (games). Installed catalyst 8.6 via envy.

My TV is a sharp 46D64U 1080p. I can setup the zoom function on:
                - Stretch (the black border are then 1 inches on all sides)
                - Dot by dot (the black border are then 2 inches on all sides)
                - Super Stretch (no black border, but aspect ratio is wrong, like fonts, they are too wide)
                - Zoom (no black border but lot of overscan)

I tried the command aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds...., but it fails with "It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range."

This command did not help: aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

What would you recommend? I can past log or config file if needed.

Thanks!

Comment

Not 100% sure, but maybe try this. If your TV is 1360x768, make sure /etc/xorg.conf has a screen section that looks like:

Section "Screen"
                  Identifier "Screen0"
                  Device "Videocard0"
                  Monitor "Monitor0"
                  DefaultDepth 24
                  SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0
                  Virtual 1408 768
                  Depth 24
                  Modes "1360x768" "800x600"
                  EndSubSection
                  EndSection

When you start, you'll see that the virtual screen is bigger than the actual TV. So fix it by opening a terminal window and typing:

xrandr -s 0

This is a workaround to deal with a driver bug which can be avoided by having a suitable multiple of 64 ...Hope that helps.

John

Originally posted by kikoune View Post
                  Hi,

I upgraded my media center from 8800GTS to HD4870. It runs dual boot Ubuntu (freevo) and windows (games). Installed catalyst 8.6 via envy.

My TV is a sharp 46D64U 1080p. I can setup the zoom function on:
                  - Stretch (the black border are then 1 inches on all sides)
                  - Dot by dot (the black border are then 2 inches on all sides)
                  - Super Stretch (no black border, but aspect ratio is wrong, like fonts, they are too wide)
                  - Zoom (no black border but lot of overscan)

I tried the command aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds...., but it fails with "It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range."

This command did not help: aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

What would you recommend? I can past log or config file if needed.

Thanks!

Comment

kikoune, the "dot by dot" setting sounds like the right one, at least once we get rid of the underscan. Your TV is connected by HDMI, right ?
                    Test signature

Comment

So, I gave the aticonfig tool another shot today, and figure out that I add to be on the machine to run the command. I was previously using ssh. Also I figured that my display was tmds2i and not tmds1 (grep Xorg.0.log for tdms to find out)

I run this script as login:

#!/bin/sh
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1920
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1080

And all works

Comment

Working...
                      X