Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    AFAIK a Rage Fury Maxx is basically two Rage 128 chips on a single board with some complicated (and probably still proprietary) software to synchronize the cards and combine the results from the two graphics engines. Getting it to run as a single Rage 128 should be easy; getting it to use both GPUs was a huge job for us and doesn't really seem like something any right-minded individual would even want to consider

Were you talking about getting it running with one GPU or with two GPUs ?

Leave a comment:

• highlandsun
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure the people who know or information about that card are around anymore.
    The inevitable outcome for all closed-source projects... sad...

I'm grateful that AMD/ATI turned around and saw the light.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Ah I see thanks for the reply

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    would it be possible to realease docs to support the rage fury maxx I know someone that has one just collecting dust due to poor support for it?

Since my rage pro turbo can run openarena fairly playable I reckon the maxx would be worth releasing the docs on...
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure the people who know or information about that card are around anymore.

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    I kinda doubt it could run compiz though since mine can't not having the texture from pixmap extension (or does it since the rage 128 supports texture compositing it seems)
    The r128 lacks non-power-of-two textures which means no compiz.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    would it be possible to realease docs to support the rage fury maxx I know someone that has one just collecting dust due to poor support for it?

Since my rage pro turbo can run openarena fairly playable I reckon the maxx would be worth releasing the docs on...

I kinda doubt it could run compiz though since mine can't not having the texture from pixmap extension (or does it since the rage 128 supports texture compositing it seems)
    Last edited by cb88; 30 January 2009, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    When we either find an editable copy (no luck yet) or have time to scan and OCR what we have back into something we can edit and release. Rough guess is a month before we have time to start work on it, maybe another month after that. Just guessing though... I was hoping an editable file would have turned up by now.

AFAIK everything covered by the document is already working in the R200 drivers, so there doesn't seem to be much to debug other than the usual AGP problems which we can't help with in our documents anyways -- most of the fixes really need to be in chipset drivers. Do you have an R200-based system that isn't working ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 January 2009, 12:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• User0x45
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    the only benefit I see from them is as an introduction for new driver developers... assuming they can *find* an R2xx these days
    Hi Bridgman, I am interested in helping debug the r2xx video adapter module I'm using in X.

I would love to read this r2xx doc to help me understand and describe more accurately what's going on with my machine.

What's the timeline for release?

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    mach64 drm is not in the upstream kernel and not shipped by all distributions, because it used to be insecure. It has been made secure some time ago but the developers did not push it upstream.
    Thanks for the answer.

If it is secure now, why can't a dev just push it so that in future distributions it works ootb?
    And since this is an ati driver, an ati dev could do this, doesn't he? This would make me really happy! (Could a dev take a look at this, please?)

Just imagine every chip has open source 3d support ootb *dream*
    Wouldn't this be great?
    Last edited by bugmenot; 29 December 2008, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    mach64 drm is not in the upstream kernel and not shipped by all distributions, because it used to be insecure. It has been made secure some time ago but the developers did not push it upstream. On Gentoo, you can install it with VIDEO_CARDS="mach64" in make.conf and emerge x11-drm, on other distributions you may have to download and compile it manually.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Apropos: I installed Debian Etch on a 600 mhz laptop yesterday, which has an ati chip inside. Some kind of rage foo... and I wasn't able to get 3d (I think because I could not get any DRI, according to the log). I red I had to compile the mach64 DRI driver or something like that, but after 3 hours or so I gave up. I could not compile it , there were always errors.

I asked myself why this did not work out of the box, I mean this is really old. On [1] I read that mach64 isn't build by default, I wanted to ask if that is still the case. And if it is, if one could not change this.

Or *should* 3d work actually out-of-the-box? So is this a a bug in Debian?
    I know you have really a lot to do to get R600/700 3d working (I have also a radeonhd 3200, so I really like your work!) but I also like to hear a statement if so old chips are still supported.
    (If you want to see something else, just take a look at this. Should be easy compared to complicated chips like the current ones.)
    Would be great, if *every* chip produced by ati could still be supported.

Thanks for your hard work and come good to the next year.

[1] http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIM...wareChipset%29

Leave a comment:

Working...
X