Radeon X.Org Driver Still Trying To Eliminate Tearing, Adds TearFree Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
    How did you switch to the modesetting driver? I tried looking, but couldnt find anything. Need a hint, would love to try it
    Try something like this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier "device"
    	Driver     "modesetting"
            Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
            Load "dri2"
            Load "glamoregl"
    EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
      Isn't the modesetting driver already tear-free? I switched over to using the modesetting driver when I installed xorg 1.17, and find my user experience much better for it. Drop the -ati driver already, it is not needed any more.
      Tried to switch to it, but somehow modesetting sees my two monitors both connected to DVI-0 which drives xrandr and co completely insane.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
        How did you switch to the modesetting driver? I tried looking, but couldnt find anything. Need a hint, would love to try it
        I'm sure there are better ways, but I simply removed all xserver-xorg-video-* packages (fglrx-* too). With 1.17+, modesetting is built into the server so there is no need for the other drivers. I do get errors in the Xorg.0.log file stating that xorg couldn't load -ati or -fglrx but it otherwise functions as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
          Tried to switch to it, but somehow modesetting sees my two monitors both connected to DVI-0 which drives xrandr and co completely insane.
          That is odd. You should submit a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Try something like this:
            Code:
            Section "Device"
            	Identifier "device"
            	Driver     "modesetting"
                    Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
            EndSection

Section "Module"
                    Load "dri2"
                    Load "glamoregl"
            EndSection
            Thanks, already went ahead and uninstalled -ati driver and it automatically switched to modesetting. Do you know if we can enable DRI3 with this driver by now? I tried Option "DRI3" in the above config file but log says option is ignored.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X