Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it is false. android is used more than everything else combined
    Yeah but point is - when most people are chinese, on average most people must be chinese That can't be true .

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      ... The new HW is called GCN 1.2 and above. ...
      The new hardware is called officially "GCN Generation 3".

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        The new hardware is called officially "GCN Generation 3".
        What is the difference? You can call it GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3 or Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 or SI, CIK, VI, PI

And you can call Carrizo-L as Kabini, because core is actually Jaguar++ or Puma with one plus
        Last edited by dungeon; 22 April 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Well, As of right now I plan to buy a new APU and a new GPU. Both of them will definitely be amdgpu supported. I just have to wait for hardware to become available. At the point when I'm able to reevaluate Catalyst I'll make a new opinion of it then.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            What is the difference? You can call it GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3 or Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 or SI, CIK, VI, PI ...
            Why use different names for the same thing?
            Just to confuse people?

Just stick to the official names and don't "invent" another one, please!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Well, As of right now I plan to buy a new APU and a new GPU. Both of them will definitely be amdgpu supported. I just have to wait for hardware to become available. At the point when I'm able to reevaluate Catalyst I'll make a new opinion of it then.
              Why to wait? Let say you build something like this:

iGPU from that APU currently works with all 3 drivers (fglrx, radeon and amdgpu) and dGPU with 2 of them (fglrx and amdgpu)

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                Why use 3 different names for the same thing?
                Just to confuse people?

Just stick to the official names and don't invent 3rd ones, please!
                Opensource graphic driver developers use these naming for the families (SI, CI(K), VI, PI), manuals uses Gens you are talking about and marketing uses all different naming, that is what confuse people the most

That said if you are interested in driver development you should use SI, CIK, VI, PI, if you read a manuals use Gen and if you want to buy/sell something use marketing names

Also AMD might use internally completely different naming too, as Bridgman mentioned. That means if you work at AMD you can use that.
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 April 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

As far as I understand it currently Catalyst hasn't been released with amdgpu support yet, so it's not possible to test yet.

Plus, I kinda want to wait for Carrizo.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Opensource graphic driver developers use these naming for the families (SI, CI(K), VI, PI), manuals uses Gens you are talking about and marketing uses all different naming, that is what confuse people the most

That said if you are interested in driver development you should use SI, CIK, VI, PI, if you read a manuals use Gen and if you want to buy/sell something use marketing names

Also AMD might use internally completely different naming too, as Bridgman mentioned. That means if you work at AMD you can use that.
                    And none of all these names are "GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3"!
                    I repeat my question: Why "invent" another one?
                    Because there is a shortage of names?
                    Or is it cool to not use one of the already existing names?
                    Last edited by drSeehas; 22 April 2015, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                      And none of all these names are "GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3"!
                      I repeat my question: Why "invent" another one?
                      Because there is a shortage of names?
                      Or is it cool to not use one of the already existing names?
                      It's never that simple. SI, CI, VI refer to chip families. Each chip in the family is a combination of hardware blocks (shaders (GFX), video decode (UVD), video encode (VCE), display (DCE), etc.) GCN refers to the instruction set on the GFX hardware block. The individual asics are a combination of hw blocks. For example, Carrizo and Tonga are in the VI family and both have GFX 8 (GCN 1.2 instruction set), but tonga has DCE 10 and UVD 5, while Carrizo has DCE11 and UVD 6. Iceland is also VI family, but does not have DCE or UVD or VCE. It's mainly just GFX (GFX 8). So chip families loosely apply to the GFX block version on the chip.
                      Last edited by agd5f; 22 April 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X