No announcement yet.

AMD Releases New "AMDGPU" Linux Kernel Driver & Mesa Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use that driver it needs DPM support, should not use the same PCI IDs as radeon and as real fglrx replacement fglrx should skip all PCI IDs supported by amdgpu, otherwise it is not preinstallable. Basically it could work together with fglrx but then the module search path has to be amdgpu first. If you think if automated switching you currently have to blacklist radeon in case fglrx should be used. Best would be an OpenGL stub with vendor switching to have all drivers active at once without symlink (Debian) or ld.so.conf.d (Ubuntu needs to run ldconfig additionally) hacks. That stub could be configured with PCI ID to driver mappings, but to have multiply nvidia drivers in parallel the kernel drivers would need exact pci ID binding, no overlapping drivers...
    Last edited by Kano; 24 April 2015, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• from amdgpu_drv.c:

What is this card with PCI ID 0x6928 ?

Can't find a reference anywhere, and I'm curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by ossuser View Post
        ... What is this card with PCI ID 0x6928 ? ...
        Tonga

Comment

• Haha, that was clear allready, but which model ?

See: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

6920 Tonga
          6921 Amethyst XT [Radeon R9 M295X]
          692b Tonga PRO GL [FirePro W7100]
          692f Tonga XT GL [FirePro W8100]
          6938 Amethyst XT [Radeon R9 M295X Mac Edition]
          6939 Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285]

No 6928 there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ossuser View Post
            Haha, that was clear allready, but which model ?

See: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

6920 Tonga
            6921 Amethyst XT [Radeon R9 M295X]
            692b Tonga PRO GL [FirePro W7100]
            692f Tonga XT GL [FirePro W8100]
            6938 Amethyst XT [Radeon R9 M295X Mac Edition]
            6939 Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285]

No 6928 there.
            Probably something not released yet, you don't have some of those iceland/carrizo models there too.

edit: not even in latest windows driver yet
            Last edited by dungeon; 24 April 2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Might be an engineering sample. The initial set of device IDs in a driver tend to follow the device IDs in the hardware made available to the developers.
              Test signature

Comment

• Any update here.. Phoronix testing, someone running it with great success? I've seen that the git repos have been updated and rebased a couple of times...

Comment

• Probably nothing new. Still lack of dpm, build support for amgdpu is not easy/worth at the moment. We'll see BioShock3 testing for radeonsi faster then VI testing at all. OGL4.x is waiting around the corner.
                  But i really wait for some test R 9285 quickly, because my cape verde has run out of time (Witcher is comming)

Comment

• Would be the worst idea to buy a CPU limited card for witcher... But do what you want.

Comment

• I own a R9 285, but we need dpm support for it to be usable. Also probably worthwhile to wait until Linux 4.2 RC1 & Mesa-mainline etc. include the bits. I don't expect major performance differences compared to e.g. the R9 290 open source stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X