AMD Kaveri: Open-Source Radeon Gallium3D vs. Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Hmm, funny thing, on my A10-7850K it shows the speed as 1333Mhz while BIOS and dmidecode say it's 2133Mhz (RAM is capable of 2400Mhz and works fine with just 2 DIMMS, but it's not stable with 4 DIMMS)
    That is actually quite correct it does not read current actual speed but reads first JEDEC part SPD info from dimms, i guess CPU-Z on Windows will show you the same

What happens for you when you first time plug that memory module on new board

For my module it say 11-11-11-28, and that is what it i get by default, but it is tested and advertised as 9-9-9-27 that means you can safely run ont those:

Yup readings from SPD is quite correct
    Last edited by dungeon; 16 December 2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      As explained in my earlier post, I've found the Linux RAM utilities be rather unreliable besides the other shortcomings.
      You can combine two infos ... and yeah Windows utilities are also "unreliable"

Last edited by dungeon; 16 December 2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah, dmidecode only gets the spd values, not the xmp profiles on the ram (nevermind the actual setting, if you changed it--reduced timings for an overclock, for instance).

My RAM's spd profile defines DDR3-1600 ram with some standard timings at 1.5v, while the two XMP profiles define 2400 and 2666 ram with much tighter timings at 1.65v. My current configuration reflects none of those:
        BCLK 136
        * 36 ~= 4.898Ghz (CPU),
        * 16 ~= 2177Mhz (RAM) at CAS 9-10-10-34; 4-4-6-300, tRTP-tRRD-tWTR-tRFC.

My ram's pushing about 1/3rd my L2 cache's bandwidth at 1.64v (with a few errors on block-move in memtest86, almost same spot every time--450-to-550MB. Probably a hardware issue, since I also rarely get an error in test 7 in the same region...forget which that is. Also happens at stock clocks/timings)...but I can't read the speeds on Linux. D:

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          but I can't read the speeds on Linux. D:
          Thing is no OS can read what BIOS fancy guis can provide if they do

Hey, even Google Search with the same browser version search differently on Windows and Linux

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            That is actually quite correct it does not read current actual speed but reads first JEDEC part SPD info from dimms, i guess CPU-Z on Windows will show you the same

What happens for you when you first time plug that memory module on new board

For my module it say 11-11-11-28, and that is what it i get by default, but it is tested and advertised as 9-9-9-27 that means you can safely run ont those:

Yup readings from SPD is quite correct
            Yes, you are right, when I first assembled my desktop the default speed for the RAM was set to 1333Mhz, that is what the DIMMs are advertising unless you use XMP profiles or manual settings. But that also makes it worthless at determining the actual speed of the DIMMs in use.

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            Yeah, dmidecode only gets the spd values, not the xmp profiles on the ram (nevermind the actual setting, if you changed it--reduced timings for an overclock, for instance).
            No, dmidecode does read the actual speed in use (but only runs as root), it's decode-dimms (that also runs as a regular user) that reads the advertised speed which is worthless for DIMMs with XMP profiles.

Comment

Yes, you are right, when I first assembled my desktop the default speed for the RAM was set to 1333Mhz, that is what the DIMMs are advertising unless you use XMP profiles or manual settings. But that also makes it worthless at determining the actual speed of the DIMMs in use.
              Yes, dmidecode is better for that or what phoronix should use to show memory frequency (latencies really can't differ benchmarks so much)... decode-dimms is only my answer how to show additional info about dimms, because dmidecode does not provide that info.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Yes, dmidecode is better for that or what phoronix should use to show memory frequency (latencies really can't differ benchmarks so much)... decode-dimms is only my answer how to show additional info about dimms, because dmidecode does not provide that info.
                PTS does use dmidecode but still it's root-only and I've found systems where it doesn't work / reports inaccurately.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  PTS does use dmidecode but still it's root-only and I've found systems where it doesn't work / reports inaccurately.
                  Yup it seems so, for some it is doubled but for some it is not as i see for Ansla it shows 2132 MHz, but for me it is 800MHz and this actually running at 1600Mhz ... If i look at just that i can't say it is actually really 800MHz or 1600MHz

Code:
                  Handle 0x002D, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
                  Memory Device
                  	Array Handle: 0x002A
                  	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
                  	Total Width: 64 bits
                  	Data Width: 64 bits
                  	Size: 4096 MB
                  	Form Factor: DIMM
                  	Set: None
                  	Locator: DIMM_A2
                  	Bank Locator: CHANNEL A
                  	Type: DDR3
                  	Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
                  	Speed: 800 MHz
                  	Manufacturer: Kingston        
                  	Serial Number: 731CE516
                  	Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum1
                  	Part Number: KHX1600C9D3/4GX   
                  	Configured Clock Speed: 800 MHz

Comment

Or is just that connected with Ranks maybe For single should be readed as doubled, but for dual it is right It might be that, but dunno for sure
                    Last edited by dungeon; 16 December 2014, 11:10 PM.

Comment

No, dmidecode does read the actual speed in use (but only runs as root), it's decode-dimms (that also runs as a regular user) that reads the advertised speed which is worthless for DIMMs with XMP profiles.
                      Ah, sorry, yeah. Mixed them up for some reason...not sure why--don't even have dmidecode installed. Still, (in my case, at least) only shows the speed it would be if my bclk was at 100:
                      Code:
                      <snip \>
                      Memory Device
                              Array Handle: 0x0023
                              Error Information Handle: Not Provided
                              Total Width: 64 bits
                              Data Width: 64 bits
                              Size: 4096 MB
                              Form Factor: DIMM
                              Set: None
                              Locator: Node0_Dimm3
                              Bank Locator: Node0_Bank0
                              Type: DDR3
                              Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
                              Speed: 1600 MHz
                              Manufacturer: Kingston          
                              Serial Number: 650D110D    
                              Asset Tag: Dimm3_AssetTag
                              Part Number: KHX2666C11D3/
                              Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz
                      I could figure that out, but it's non-trivial if you don't know your multiplier or bclk, especially if the bios/firmware lies to you about your processor's speed (which mine does if AMD Cool 'n' QuietTM is enabled). Also doesn't tell you voltages, though I understand that can be tricky. Unfortunately, my MB doesn't expose any voltage or temperature sensors, other than the CPU's temp.

Comment

Working...
                      X