Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Linux Driver Released -- Huge Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vein View Post
    I have installed it on my SL 7 machine witha A10-7850k and I got about 10fps more on dota 2 and I wramp up the graphics a notch. I have no problems on my KDE desktop with glitches or waking up as others say here.

I have also installed it on my wifes ubuntu 14.04 machine with an Radeon 7950 and it also works perfectly (we haven't found any problems yet), and she got about 5fps more in dota 2 and Civ 5 also flows better.
    Well I have 6970 and older catalyst and I always had 60 fps with vsync. So this is good but not much of a help for me. Maybe Witcher 2 will work now better.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_v View Post
      There's no amdgpu driver goodness in 3.19. To my knowledge, patches haven't even been submitted for review yet, let alone reviewed (for instance, it took 6 revisions and 5 months for the HSA driver to finally get merged).
      You're right. I was surprised it was coming that fast. I misread a phoronix article which said "The AMDKFD driver...will premiere with the Linux 3.19 kernel". Stuff that is capitalized like that all looks the same to me...AMDKFD, AMDGPU, AMDPOO, AMDPEE....You see?

Comment

Hello , someone could check if there is any improvement with the HD6800 range ?

Thank you very much and greetings .

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
          Really? What's Gallium like with latest mesa from git and kernel 3.18? I haven't seen any dips in online gaming with my 6870 using Gallium, and I was planning on upgrading to a 285 later, just to get that AMDGPU driver goodness in 3.19. But if the performance of a 290X is worse than my 6870 in Source games, forget it!
          It's been a few months since I last tested Gallium, but it was significantly worse. Can't say anything about it's current state since I don't actively follow it (I just check it when I read something convincing about it's development). However, I had a Radeon 5870 before and with Catalyst the performance of Dota 2 didn't improve nearly as much as you might expect. That's not the case for other games, since every other one at least runs smoothly now.

I can check latest Gallium/Mesa/etc. for you, if you you're interested that much, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
            It's been a few months since I last tested Gallium, but it was significantly worse. Can't say anything about it's current state since I don't actively follow it (I just check it when I read something convincing about it's development). However, I had a Radeon 5870 before and with Catalyst the performance of Dota 2 didn't improve nearly as much as you might expect. That's not the case for other games, since every other one at least runs smoothly now.

I can check latest Gallium/Mesa/etc. for you, if you you're interested that much, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
            I'm quite interested since phoronix doesn't benchmark dota, but I'm not interested enough to waste your time if you yourself are not interested in checking out the performance of the latest mesa + 3.18. That said, I AM quite interested!

Comment

Hmmm...

So I'm guessing that I've done something wrong:

After upgrade zsnes no longer works - segfaults immediately. However, if I run it as root it runs without segmentation faults.

VAAPI decoding a 1080p high profile h264 video seems to take 100% of the cpu time - the previous driver version with the xvba va api bindings was more like 30%...

Anyone else observed this and/or is there something obvious I've missed?

-bms20

Comment

I'm trying to install the new omega drivers for Ubuntu 14.04

AMD Catalyst? 14.12

But the ubuntu software center is complaining "Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  I'm quite interested since phoronix doesn't benchmark dota, but I'm not interested enough to waste your time if you yourself are not interested in checking out the performance of the latest mesa + 3.18. That said, I AM quite interested!
                  Didn't check for 3.18, just tried Oibaf PPA and the game is garbage. I get visual glitches and it runs like a slide show :/

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                    What fix are you referring to? Keith's glamor glyphs rewrite hasn't even landed in Git master yet, so it most definitely won't be in 1.17. And I don't know of any other fix for this problem, so it's most likely not fixed yet I'm afraid.
                    Then probably it is not fixed if you say so, someone mention that on irc maybe month ago, so i believed it is but did't tried... well, bad if that is not fixed even for 1.17
                    Last edited by dungeon; 10 December 2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                      This is why linux will never be popular on the desktop: matching driver with kernel version is a huge PITA. Linux world really needts to learn to play nice with closed source or else it will never have a chance.
                      Hey windows fanboy. Tried to start virtualbox today on a fully updated Windows 7? :-) https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13677 <- "Windows world needs to learn to not release updates, that stops it playing nice with other closed source software or nobody will use it in the future".

Comment

Working...
                      X