No announcement yet.

Major AMD Catalyst Linux Update Expected Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no need at all to use VAAPI with the opensource drivers. We talked to christian k?nig and he asked us to continue to use VDPAU as this is what the OSS drivers should use and are tested. VAAPI implementation was done to show alternatives to intel hardware, while choosing AMD.

Only thing VAAPI could be interesting is for very old amd gpus that don't implement VDPAU with interop properly. IIRC you are an owner of such a card - I am not. So @nille: What's the status of VAAPI on (old) AMD hardware? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      There is no need at all to use VAAPI with the opensource drivers. We talked to christian k?nig and he asked us to continue to use VDPAU as this is what the OSS drivers should use and are tested. VAAPI implementation was done to show alternatives to intel hardware, while choosing AMD.

Only thing VAAPI could be interesting is for very old amd gpus that don't implement VDPAU with interop properly. IIRC you are an owner of such a card - I am not. So @nille: What's the status of VAAPI on (old) AMD hardware? :-)
      I thought the main point of VAAPI was that of VDPAU doesn't support Wayland.

Comment

Kodi don't want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          Kodi don't want to use it.
          Have seen the patch I linked? Use that one, which I pushed to kodi main repo some hours ago and the following advancedsettings.xlm:

Code:
          <!-- ~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml -->
          <advancedsettings>
          <video>
          <forcevaapienabled>true</forcevaapienabled>
          </video>
          </advancedsettings>

Comment

I'm not interested much in new features, I only want 2 things:
            1. stop the friggin graphics glitches all over my KDE desktop
            2. stop the system crashing in various games (X3 for example)

I'd take these 2 fixes over any amount of opencl or vaapi any day.

Comment

Have seen the patch I linked?
              Its compiling, but it need some time the device is not the fastest.

Comment

Have seen the patch I linked?
                So for the FOSS driver. With the driver from oibaf, kodi and mpv segault in a instant. vainfo report that there is the vdpau backend at work so i compiled mesa by myself. with this, mpv works and kodi works too but he still use the software decoder. he comes with the meassage that i have to blame the driver vendor if it fails and close the vaapi decoder.

Code:
                WARNING: VAAPI was not tested on your hardware / driver stack: x.org. If it will crash and burn complain with your gpu vendor.
                DEBUG: VAAPI - open decoder
                DEBUG: CGUIInfoManager::SetCurrentMovie(/media/nille/UUI/EVE Online - This is War.mp4)
                DEBUG: VAAPI - initialize version 0.36
                DEBUG: VAAPI - driver in use: mesa gallium vaapi
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 0
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 1
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 10
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 5
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 6
                DEBUG: VAAPI - profile 7
                NOTICE: VAAPI::Close
                PS: Die Compiling guides for kodi are outdated. the ppa with the required packages are over 2 years old oO

Comment

Current compile guides are in the doc directory. Cool then it opens at least :-)

You can turn on component logging under System -> Settings -> Debugging, but It won't probably print anything else.

Comment

Current compile guides are in the doc directory. Cool then it opens at least :-)

You can turn on component logging under System -> Settings -> Debugging, but It won't probably print anything else.
                    Video and ffmpeg was turned on

Kodi Debug log

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Video and ffmpeg was turned on

Kodi Debug log
                      From reading the code vaQueryDisplayAttributes fails and we cannot init the decoder.

Comment

Working...
                      X