No announcement yet.

HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from memory here, but I think the 38xx AGP parts have been tested in this release along with one of the 2600's (Pro, I think).

The rest are still in the pipe but may "sorta work" now.

Not sure why the AGP support didn't show up in the release notes. Hopefully it's not because the AGP cards failed QA
    Last edited by bridgman; 22 May 2008, 01:12 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

• On Fedora 7 and Catalyst 8.4 I have 50% performance compare to performance in Windows XP, but on Fedora 9 and Catalyst 8.5, I have... black screen I tested it with kernel: 2.6.25-14 and 2.6.25.3-18 but always I have black screen on my PowerColor Radeon 2600 PRO 512MB (motherboard is Asrock K7VT6-C with VIA KT600). With new kernel I can't install previous Catalyst 8.4 without kernel patching, so now I don't have any 3d acceleration.

Comment

• Worked for me on Ubuntu 8.04....although it wasn't exactly easy.

After installation all I got was input mode not supported..so after alot of fidling around in command line (init 2 or whatever its called) I finally figured out I have to manually tell it what resolution I want....entered 1440x900, rebooted and it worked.

But I still get no desktop effects (ubuntu tells me I need to install propriatary ati driver.....great, WTF did I just do then??) and Videos play...kinda but its still not really smooth, not like in Windows.

It's just soooooo freakign hard to get this damn Linux system even to a somewhat workable state.........:-(

Comment

• Try

Comment

• Nadro, any obvious errors in your logs ? Might be worth trying a slightly older distro with a 2.6.24 kernel; not sure how much testing the AGP code received on newest kernels.

the_corona, I put Hardy on a new system here and noticed some funny things with the restricted driver manager; it seemed to think fglrx was enabled and running even though I was clearly running radeon and not fglrx. When I went back and checked later the "enable" checkbox was off, which was what I expected, and when I flipped the checkbox to "on" it downloaded the 8.3 package as expected. Haven't played with 8.5 yet but I can say Firefox scrolling is really fast with a 3870
            Last edited by bridgman; 22 May 2008, 12:09 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Nadro, any obvious errors in your logs ? Might be worth trying a slightly older distro with a 2.6.24 kernel; not sure how much testing the AGP code received on newest kernels.
              In /var/log/Xorg.1.log I can see this error:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
              dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: miZeroLineScreenIndex
              (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
              (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
              (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)

I think than new drivers are good and probably fixed AGP problem but it's look than drivers aren't compatible with new Fedora 9 stuff (X Server 1.4.99 / pre X Server 1.5) and this isn't only AGP cards problem, NVIDIA users has got similar problem.
              Last edited by nadro; 22 May 2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_corona View Post
                Worked for me on Ubuntu 8.04....although it wasn't exactly easy.

After installation all I got was input mode not supported..so after alot of fidling around in command line (init 2 or whatever its called) I finally figured out I have to manually tell it what resolution I want....entered 1440x900, rebooted and it worked.

But I still get no desktop effects (ubuntu tells me I need to install propriatary ati driver.....great, WTF did I just do then??) and Videos play...kinda but its still not really smooth, not like in Windows.

It's just soooooo freakign hard to get this damn Linux system even to a somewhat workable state.........:-(
                Ok, Into Ubuntu-hardware thingy and saw that ati driver was still disabled (though it said its in use...whatever), enabled it and rebooted. Tried desktop effects again...now it said composite something not available. Fine, looked around a bit and went into xorg.config and saw
                Option "Composite" "Off"
                Figured out...turn it on. Changed it to:
                Option "Composite" "On"
                and rebooted again. Then tried desktop effects again and all I get is a white screen with the mouse curser on top of it.

Any hints?

Edit:
                Ha, seems I found it:
                Option "AIGLX" "On"
                Effects arent totally smooth though...but I can live with it. First time something's actaully worked for me so far :-) Happy now!
                Last edited by the_corona; 22 May 2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• I downgrade my xorg with this tutorial:
                  Please refer to post #135 and follow the instructions in the "TO INSTALL NEW" section. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1021008&postcount=135 THE FOLLOWING IS NO LONGER NEEDED!!! Two weeks ago, I purchased my first speed demon...well for personal use anyways. I have setup and currently maintain countless quad-core and dual-quad-core servers all over the country. But this one for me! It is using the new 780i EVGA board with a Q6700 and an Nvidia 9600GT (yes I know the

My drivers are installed ok and xserver was run ok, but in right down corner is AMD logo with "Testing use only" how can I disable it? I have also poor performance 10% compare to Windows performance and I have many artefacts in 3d applications. I have always error in closing 3d applications with memory protection.

Comment

• Did you uninstall and re-install the latest drivers (we updated the package yesterday) ? If you did, I'm surprised you're getting the watermark.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Yes instead of rebuilding (look at build date) somebody used my hotfix *g*

Comment

Working...
                      X