What to expect for 8.01 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think we're saying the same thing, except you're seeing that on the 2600 "opengl is faster but not as good quality" ? That may be correct -- what I was trying to say was "textured video should be faster for the same amount of video processing / quality" or something like that, since that's where we put the video-specific code.
    yes. the quality of opengl compared to xv is lesser for the lining issues and for the text rendering, especially with osd text. this happens with both 2600 and rs480. but in the games that work on opengl the 2600 is quite good and doesn't seem to present issues, except for the gamma correction. also i get some minor problems with the compiz cube rendering (sometime i get slow response and some watermark) when using the bigdesktop. these are the problems that i encounter with the 2600 on which i'm using 7.11 since i wasn't experiencing the opengl leak for some reason. or better, i'd experienced it for the first 30 seconds then it wouldn't continue to leak. i don't know why.

On the X200M (RS4xx) I think the recommended settings would be "Textured everything" off and "Video Overlay" on. Textured Video really became a focus with the 5xx+ parts AFAIK. Are you saying that "opengl 2d-tex-fragprog works faster" on x200m than xv with the overlay, or just faster than xv with Textured Video ?
    i normally use opengl only in xine on the x200 since that's the only way of having something useful. the 2d-tex-fragprog is faster than xv allowing me to play also hd format video content (i've tried some 1920x1080 h264 and they played as in windows). this is impossibile with the xv. i also seen that the overall processor load on opengl is lower than on xv. but this is just when using the fragprog on the text rendering. the problem is that fglrx doesn't support fragprog text rendering. it doesn't work on text not embeded directly into the video-stream, and this makes me suspect the driver doesn't support it. the 2d-tex rendering instead renders well the text but doesn't have good performance. it seems like the first mode just ignores the osds while the second one doesn't have the speed. the strange thing is that if i try to enable textured2d then xorg would crash. it should work too if i get the rendering options enabled.

well, it seems that we were both saying about the same thing on the configs in the end, and my hunger made me understand it in the wrong way.

by the way is there a chance to get the new fglrx next week or is more likely to come out the following one considering christmas and new years eve?

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
      the last thing that i expect is that agp would finally be found and recognized by the driver.
      Amen, brother!

Comment

Just to clarify...

Widescreen is not broken, but the 1650x1080 resolution is broken.

My dual setup of 1440x900 monitors works fine; as far as widescreen goes anyway. All of the other bugs (video tearing, crappy AIGLX, etc.) are there.

Comment

i normally use opengl only in xine on the x200 since that's the only way of having something useful. the 2d-tex-fragprog is faster than xv allowing me to play also hd format video content (i've tried some 1920x1080 h264 and they played as in windows). this is impossibile with the xv.
          Good point. "Faster and not so good" is useful at higher resolutions, even if it's... um... not so good.
          Test signature

Comment

Good point. "Faster and not so good" is useful at higher resolutions, even if it's... um... not so good.
            maybe i had to say that the hd content was playable but not watchable.... the difference of faster was in the frames dropped: about 60-65% on xv and about 50% on opengl. this is what means faster on the x200m. and it works in the same way on windows, so this i not a driver problem.
            the fact of opengl is clear on the hd2600: its slower and the processor is very stressed when using hd content on linux when compared to windows. the content this time is watchable but the processor need to be at least a mid range dualcore or you risk not having the average needed quality. thanks god that hd content is quite rare and that i've tried it just to see how it works. so the faster is always true, the not so good is to be taken as it is: not playable/not watchable on rs480 playable/watchable on hd2600. on the other chip i haven't tested it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsume View Post
              Just to clarify...

Widescreen is not broken, but the 1650x1080 resolution is broken.

My dual setup of 1440x900 monitors works fine; as far as widescreen goes anyway. All of the other bugs (video tearing, crappy AIGLX, etc.) are there.
              Well, widescreen sure ain't working over here on my flatscreen (1440x900 is native). I'm stuck at 1280x1024.

I've been patient enough and now when the new 8800GT arrived (the Call of Duty-bundled one), there's no reason for me to sit and wait for something to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by peol View Post
                Well, widescreen sure ain't working over here on my flatscreen (1440x900 is native). I'm stuck at 1280x1024.

I've been patient enough and now when the new 8800GT arrived (the Call of Duty-bundled one), there's no reason for me to sit and wait for something to happen.
                Weird...

1440x900 on both my screens is working fine. Are you using DVI or VGA? I'm doing dual VGA.

Comment

I predict people will continue to b1tch and threaten to buy nvidia regardless of how good the drivers are. Personally, I'm using radeonhd and I've left fglrx forever (and haven't looked back). BTW, as I said in the X1250 Google group, I've seen tons of issues in the Ubuntu forums about nvidia. The grass isn't all green on that side of the fence either.

Comment

The Ubuntu problems with gfx drivers are house made, because of the way Ubuntu uses restricted modules. That's a too complex way for beginners who try to switch between drivers.

Comment

Freedom

I expect all the software on the standard Ubuntu installation to be Free.

Comment

Working...
                      X