No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Gallium3D Might Run As Well As Catalyst For CS:GO Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As oposed to that of CS:GO, in the TF2 benchmark I can see the game actual rendering, not the game menu. However, considering that the fps are very similar in both benchmarks, I presume the CS:GO benchmark is correct.

I get 76.17 fps in TF 2 at 1920x1080 (http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...PL-TEAMFORTR49).

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
      As oposed to that of CS:GO, in the TF2 benchmark I can see the game actual rendering, not the game menu. However, considering that the fps are very similar in both benchmarks, I presume the CS:GO benchmark is correct.

I get 76.17 fps in TF 2 at 1920x1080 (http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...PL-TEAMFORTR49).
      The benchmark should use timedemo. You should see a demo of gameplay footage, otherwise there's a problem, and I doubt the result is correct.

Comment

What I do not understand is that the Linux community hails open source software to the heavens, and understandably so from a philosophical standpoint, but when it comes to the real life example that is AMD's open driver, where is the community to show just how powerful open source software can be? Probably working on another new distro aimed at a niche allegedly not served by the hundreds of other distros out there. AMD's open driver is improving much quicker than AMD's closed driver but was also much further behind. Instead of waiting for AMD to throw more resources at its open driver, or even its closed driver, why doesn't the community step up and pick up the pace and put it past AMD's closed driver already?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
          What I do not understand is that the Linux community hails open source software to the heavens, and understandably so from a philosophical standpoint, but when it comes to the real life example that is AMD's open driver, where is the community to show just how powerful open source software can be? Probably working on another new distro aimed at a niche allegedly not served by the hundreds of other distros out there. AMD's open driver is improving much quicker than AMD's closed driver but was also much further behind. Instead of waiting for AMD to throw more resources at its open driver, or even its closed driver, why doesn't the community step up and pick up the pace and put it past AMD's closed driver already?
          You do realize that many of the AMD people working on the free drivers now, were at first just part of the "community" you so call before being hired by AMD? There are also outside people working on things, but I suppose GPU work is not very welcoming for new people.

Comment

most people aren't programmers, and even most programmers don't know where to begin on something as advanced as a modern graphics card driver.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              You do realize that many of the AMD people working on the free drivers now, were at first just part of the "community" you so call before being hired by AMD? There are also outside people working on things, but I suppose GPU work is not very welcoming for new people.
              Oh, I do realise very much that these people originated from the "community" as you so quote. AMD employs 6 open source graphics driver developers, right? 6.

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              most people aren't programmers, and even most programmers don't know where to begin on something as advanced as a modern graphics card driver.
              That is a big point against open source software, really.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                The benchmark should use timedemo. You should see a demo of gameplay footage, otherwise there's a problem, and I doubt the result is correct.
                You don't see anything because the game is started with the "-novid" parameter.

Comment

That is a big point against open source software, really.
                  How? Coding is a complex task, most people who code don't do anything more than some scripts or web pages. Many can write tools/apps for the desktop or server (or make a new spin off of a distro) or complex webapps, another step in complexity is writing games (though that depends if we're talking about game engine or just game mechanics), then drivers and the kernel. The same applies to proprietary code. You get numerous small apps, but only a few drivers or operating systems, nothing new here. Just because you got millions of sysadmins who write automation scripts for backups on their servers on a daily basis, you can't expect them to be able to code a GPU driver.

The strength in FLOSS is that when more people join the community, there's a good chance that they'll be able to help with even the more complex stuff. We need to grow the community, keep it healthy and friendly (not fighting within), and eventually we'll have more GPU drivers developers than the proprietary companies can employ.

Comment

There's also the thing that drivers are not separate from rest of the operating system. When OS changes, someone has to port driver to be compatible. If driver is closed source, this porting must be done by original developer creating overhead to them. With open source the original developer can keep focusing on new advanced features and new GPU support

Comment

What I do not understand is that the Linux community hails open source software to the heavens, and understandably so from a philosophical standpoint, but when it comes to the real life example that is AMD's open driver, where is the community to show just how powerful open source software can be? ... Instead of waiting for AMD to throw more resources at its open driver, or even its closed driver, why doesn't the community step up and pick up the pace and put it past AMD's closed driver already?
                      Do you not count yourself in "the Linux community"? What is your reason?

Comment

Working...
                      X