Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSS radeon driver for A10-7850K (Kaveri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah... stupid 5 minute edit limit - s/LLVM/llvmpipe/ in the previous post (auggh... on the previous page)
    Test signature

Comment

I use Debian, but tried to booting Ubuntu 14.04 i remember few months ago, but here on Kabini system... dpm was disabled by default and ColorTiling/ColorTiling2D ddx options were also disabled by default .

Just friendly reminder, it may be not the same on Kaveri or may not be the same with current 14.04 install images . So, boot liveCD and check dmesg/Xorg.0.log (or post them here if you can't understand them) to see what happens there
      Last edited by dungeon; 22 August 2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

So, LiveCD results. I booted off the same media I was using, edited the grub command line and added nomodeset because otherwise it crashes.

It's using the radeon oss driver by default, but only allows 1024x768 (I need 1080p) and is using software rendering. On the other hand, I should add the oibaf repository and upgrade the drivers + mesa to get proper support for the processor, as far as I'm aware. Since that + a kernel upgrade to 3.16 would require rebooting, I'll need to do an install eventually to test all of that. I'll find a spare HD somewhere and try it out I guess, but for now here is the info from the booted 14.04 LiveCD. I selected main/universe/restricted/multiverse package sources, updated them, installed pastebinit, inxi and mesa-utils (for glxinfo).

lsb_release -a:
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
        Release: 14.04
        Codename: trusty

uname -a:
        Linux ubuntu 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

inxi -G:
        Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 200 Series]
        X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
        GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p:
        OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
        OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
        OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0

Not software rendered: no
        Not blacklisted: yes
        GLX fbconfig: yes
        GLX texture from pixmap: yes
        GL npot or rect textures: yes
        GL vertex program: yes
        GL fragment program: yes
        GL vertex buffer object: yes
        GL framebuffer object: yes
        GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: no

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8116853/
        Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8116856/
        glxinfo: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8116872/

I'll probably post the glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG set to verbose from the existing system with kernel 3.16/mesa 10.3/xfree-xorg-video-ati 7.4.99 from oibaf later tonight or something like that. It'd be nice if that could lead to an eventual fix, but I'll still be doing the new install on a spare HD to see where I get with that since I figure that may be the best/cleanest option. All my media library is in an external RAID and it's a dedicated PVR, so I just need to save all my various configs... and hopefully remember all the fixes I accumulated to get it where it is. I remember having fun getting AC3/DTS passthrough to work, but that was an XBMC 13 thing I thing....

At any rate, I'm rambling. Thanks for the help so far, I feel like I have some hope, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I use Debian, but tried to booting Ubuntu 14.04 i remember few months ago, but here on Kabini system... dpm was disabled by default and ColorTiling/ColorTiling2D ddx options were also disabled by default .

Just friendly reminder, it may be not the same on Kaveri or may not be the same with current 14.04 install images . So, boot liveCD and check dmesg/Xorg.0.log (or post them here if you can't understand them) to see what happens there
          We generally disable features by default if there are doubts about them working on all systems -- the key thing particularly for distros is making sure the initial boot experience goes well (vs maximizing performance etc..), that's why I'm surprised by the problems splice42 is reporting.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            We generally disable features by default if there are doubts about them working on all systems -- the key thing particularly for distros is making sure the initial boot experience goes well (vs maximizing performance etc..), that's why I'm surprised by the problems splice42 is reporting.
            I know that and i am fine with that, but just wanna help OP somwhow if he try default image .

But according to first post he use pretty recent mesa, but with libglamor so he get "XXX fail to create fbo." for some reason. Might we just some bug in current mesa with that combination .

Comment

Not sure which glamor lib is used there @splice42 Did you install glamor from oibaf repo or not? Default glamor is pretty much 0.6 release and does not contain post 0.6 fixes, it has bugs like this

Comment

I've still got a reply in the moderation queue with all the logs from the LiveCD boot, hopefully that'll show up soon. In the meantime...

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Not sure which glamor lib is used there @splice42 Did you install glamor from oibaf repo or not? Default glamor is pretty much 0.6 release and does not contain post 0.6 fixes, it has bugs like this
                Not sure if I did or not. If it's in oibaf, I should have gotten the updated version because I'm pretty sure I reinstalled glamor after seeing the log, in case it would fix something left behind or replaced by fglrx.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                If you had kernel modesetting disabled the 1024x768 res wouldn't surprise me, I think you get the VESA driver.
                (from the other thread, replying here). Hrm, so if that makes sense, but modesetting needs to be disabled to avoid that startup crash... a kernel upgrade is in order so I can get nomodeset out of the kernel boot options? I think I did boot successfully without it when I had kernel 3.16 installed. So for a clean install, if we're assuming it should work on vanilla 14.04 LTS and the nomodeset prevents it from working but kernel 3.16 fixes that for me, then the only thing I should need to do would be to upgrade the kernel. Of course with oibaf I'd get the latest updates and potentially best performance, so I'll be adding that too. I imagine I'd also be purging the default fglrx drivers that may be installed, if they're present, just to be safe.

Comment

Let's look at the LiveCD logs first. Any chance you can break the URL up into parts so it doesn't get blocked, eg "pastebin.com then add xxx to the site name" ?

Just checking -- sounds like you installed fglrx by having the installer building packages rather than doing a native install, is that correct ?

Or did you use fglrx packages from a Ubuntu repo ?
                  Test signature

Comment

He can run debsums, just to be sure if something is not replaced by fglrx installer, etc.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 August 2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

The LiveCD results made it, just look up in the thread a bit, post #13 in this thread. Also, quick clarification, by updating software sources, I meant apt-get update, not apt-get upgrade, so it's all default from the LiveCD except those few packages I installed.

Comment

Working...
                      X