7.12 - speculation time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sergus View Post
    Thanks ATI guys for the Christmas present...
    Still 2 days left this week.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• 7.12 - "holidays come first" :]

i bet they found something embarrassing in the driver, and pulled it (maybe it was incorrectly packaged or something).

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        7.12 - "holidays come first" :]

i bet they found something embarrassing in the driver, and pulled it (maybe it was incorrectly packaged or something).
        I can't see they can have found something major, if that was the case it would have to be pulled and fixed/QA'ed or scrapped. It must be something minor like a server/mirror hiccup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
          I can't see they can have found something major, if that was the case it would have to be pulled and fixed/QA'ed or scrapped. It must be something minor like a server/mirror hiccup.
          BTW Michael thanks for keeping us updated even if you are a tease .

Comment

• Hope this will be a fine xmas present

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedDB View Post
              Hope this will be a fine xmas present
              I think the new year driver could be a bigger present... just a guess, because they surely don't include new major features before holidays.

Comment

• Things are looking good now!At least now Michael can tell us know someting about the driver release date, so we don't slashdot the site refreshing the page every 2 seconds like junkies without drugs!
                I bet that the new team from amd/ati will give us a nice Christmas present(they had 2 months for that).

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  ...because they surely don't include new major features before holidays.
                  Why ever not?

Comment

• maybe because new functionality might make more problems than it would solve.

they want to have peaceful holidays without feeling "somebody's gonna kill me for that commit!" hanging over their heads all the time :>

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Biggest complaint that I have is that everyone over at AMD knows what the real market is (Larger than you'd think- and getting larger by the day, believe it or not...) and they didn't do what needed to be done to resolve the problem. That's one of the places that I've my biggest beef.
                      I know the market is getting larger but it's still small compared to Windows (rapidly growing though).
                      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      You'll note you're verbally jousting with me
                      Well you are fun to do it with

Open sourcing the driver is probably out of the question. Releasing the technical data, sans anything to do with things like Macrovision control, isn't- and should never have been an issue. AMD's rectifying that one right now, they just got to make sure there's no leakage of protection stuff, etc. so it takes time for them to validate that they're doing their due dilligence there.
                      Agreed it's something that'll take time for them to validate and in future they'll probably do that while they are developing it.
                      Actually, it's not as big as you'd think. Microsoft's numbers are heavily skewed- and that's what everyone and his dog is going off of. But, even THAT impression is changing. I watched at one of my client companies where not one, but TWO of the main OEM players (you figure which two out of Dell, Lenovo, IBM, HP, etc. they were... ) tell the client company that they had to have compelling performance on their network part ON Linux, preferably Open Sourced driver support- or they weren't going to carry their product. PERIOD. It was part of why they'd hired me- to salvage the situation.
                      I think in the GPU market things are just starting to settle down as far as GPU drivers go. It would've been nice for everybody to have done this years ago and continued on keeping upto date but that didn't happen.

Most of the people in the groups weren't doing that until some of the AMD fanboy types (Yes, there were some in here...) started making snide remarks. Someone made an ill-chosen choice of comments and then it really was on.And, I've been trying ever since to get people to cool their jets. It's not working. I wonder why?
                      I don't particularly like fanboi's. You could say I'm not a fan. I'm just trying to get people to cool down. Sure you've probably copped a bit of heat from me but that was in response to your replies to me.
                      Until AMD gets it straightened out, one way or another, their GPU products, under Linux, is solely for the brave at heart or the lucky. That's what most people have actually been saying.
                      I would have to agree with that , although the X1600 GPU in this laptop seems good enough for day to day use for me.
                      YOU try dealing with a part that the supplier claims is supported by the driver, only to find out that it only works in a degenerate, suboptimal mode of operation
                      I'm dealing with that at the moment so I know exactly what that is like. It's pain in the arse and I'll avoid ARM9 CPU's with coprocessors in future purely because the FPU support is buggy.

I look forward to dealing with ARM11 or PowerPC for future products. Perhaps in time if the support is there I'll end up with x86 processors that AMD are currently developing for the low power space.

Comment

Working...
                      X