No announcement yet.

AMD Marketing Manager Mentions Linux & Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help but feel "mantle + SteamOS + SDL + optional controller" equals "Next big thing" for the video game console market.

(Disclaimer; Never owned a console).

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
      Still slower than Nvidia ones, 290 slower than older amd cards (even the 6870 is faster in some scenarios), but this is "definetly fine".
      If I could just use KDE desktop effects and hardware acceleration without my desktop becoming a diashow. Or playing videos at more than a fourth of my 1440p screen without them turning into a mess or not showing at all when vsync or desktop effects are activated, that'd be great. Meanwhile I'll just switch to XRender on my R9 290 or the HD4600 in my laptop which is working great.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        In fact, i read it pretty much the opposite way.

In other words, DX12 isn't out yet, linux doesn't have anything, so you better get windows and use mantle.

Maybe they'll bring it to linux, but i wouldn't count on it and i certainly don't think that's what this guy was saying.
        thought i was alone in that, seems not

Comment

Sure is a lot of useless Jabbering when the actual AMD Linux dev posted a comment with no one responding to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Sure is a lot of useless Jabbering when the actual AMD Linux dev posted a comment with no one responding to it.
            I think to ask him about how AMD plan switch to Radeon driver for Catalyst is going, but he won't tell us anything anyway.
            So I just decide not do that...

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              So I just decide not do that...
              Good call. I can answer questions about HSA but not Mantle or future Catalyst plans ... which is a shame because the Mantle architect sits across the aisle from me
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Good call. I can answer questions about HSA but not Mantle or future Catalyst plans
                Will there be any HSA support in the Linux Mantle driver?

Comment

I think linux Mantle won't come till after Wayland and the improved kernel support.
                  Makes no sense developing Mantle till the driver environment is completely stable.

On the upside AMD's OGL support keeps getting better and better.
                  I have had no problems with fglrx on R7850. stable and tear free desktop works fine. Video playback is fine.
                  Running Manjaro KDE testing

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post
                    If I could just use KDE desktop effects and hardware acceleration without my desktop becoming a diashow. Or playing videos at more than a fourth of my 1440p screen without them turning into a mess or not showing at all when vsync or desktop effects are activated, that'd be great. Meanwhile I'll just switch to XRender on my R9 290 or the HD4600 in my laptop which is working great.
                    I have the same situation.

My backup machine (which I am currently using) has a older i7 (1st gen) and a Radeon HD4670, which have worked great for at least the last 3 years, using the FOSS driver. Now my main machine (notebook) has an NVIDIA card (I bought it more for the other components) and the NVIDIA driver is such a PITA that I just use the intel. The nouveau work as of late has been interesting, so maybe soon I'ļl actually be able to plug an external monitor into it.

Comment

Guys,

What is HSLS?

I tried to google it but found no answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X