No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have 4870X2 and any current Linux Distro + ATI Driver 9.4 = NO SCREEN.

Please advise, been asking for OVER a MONTH now on all kinds of forums.

I am at the point I am wishing I would have bought a Geforce GTX 295 instead... sigh

Comment

• Does it work with Ubuntu 8.10 ? If so, suggest you stay with that until we announce official 9.04 support.
      Test signature

Comment

• Dont know I dont have the Old OS. I am looking to run a current OS with the latest KDE I am trying Fedora 11 Preview now, it is supposed to be out in 12 days. Will it work with that?

Sorry I am the type of guy who went to Vista and if something didnt work right I didnt go back to XP, I would just find a work around or replace the component that had the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
          I have 4870X2 and any current Linux Distro + ATI Driver 9.4 = NO SCREEN.

Please advise, been asking for OVER a MONTH now on all kinds of forums.

I am at the point I am wishing I would have bought a Geforce GTX 295 instead... sigh
          Hope you learned your lesson!

When you say "NO SCREEN", are we talking about 'No Signal' to the screen, or just a black/blank image?

I had the blank screen problem with a HD4870. I was using an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ and an A8N-SLi Premium. I switched to a Phenom X3 and a M4N78-Pro and now i dont get the blank screen

Comment

• I had mostly white screen very distorted.

Comment

I had mostly white screen very distorted.
              Ok. I think thats a pretty common problem. Can you try Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 10.

Comment

• I would rather run Fedora 11 I am waiting for it to come out and the preview runs well. Just no 3d. I would think with all the Linux Gurus and the fact that this issue has been around for a while, and is known, that it would be fixed soon.. I mean how hard can it be?

Comment

I would rather run Fedora 11 I am waiting for it to come out and the preview runs well. Just no 3d. I would think with all the Linux Gurus and the fact that this issue has been around for a while, and is known, that it would be fixed soon.. I mean how hard can it be?
                  No you dont get it. You need to run Fedora 10, or Ubuntu 8.04 or something older. ATi drivers dont work well with new distros.

ATi devs are fucking retards. They wouldn't know what a driver was if it sat on their heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                    No you dont get it. You need to run Fedora 10, or Ubuntu 8.04 or something older. ATi drivers dont work well with new distros.

ATi devs are fucking retards. They wouldn't know what a driver was if it sat on their heads.
                    Yes after a month of this crap i get it. ATI sucks, their drivers suck but only in Linux. Work great in Windows.

Sad but true. As a gamer I have to use windows just wish someone would provide an alternative, especially when I see a better one out there in Linux, just no one really can pull it together and get it right.

Comment

• What's really sad is when some of the older games work better under wine than under windows. Although I should point out that I was using vista, and the games weren't designed for it.
                      I would be very nice for game companies to start supporting linux - even if it's just one particular distro (Ubuntu or Fedora most likely), I'm sure the community would make it work on others.
                      I personally have had very few, or no problems with the binary ATI drivers for a long time. Yes, occasionally I have problems, typically related to sitting on bleeding-edge stuff a lot, so it's really my fault. I personally believe that the ATI devs are doing a great job - all games and personal programming I do are on par with windows performance, and I have no 2D issues at all. Even run dual monitors just fine (no xinerama, just a personal preference).
                      That being said, I've never been able to open amdcccle (not even once). I've seen a few other gentoo 64bit users with the same problem, never heard of any getting it to work.
                      Last edited by mirv; 15 May 2009, 06:37 AM. Reason: stressful work day = bad english apparently

Comment

Working...
                      X