Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux 3.12 Tests With The Performance Governor

Phoronix: AMD Linux 3.12 Tests With The Performance Governor

Complementing the article earlier today why Radeon graphics are faster on Linux 3.12, here's some benchmarks now showing the open-source Radeon results when using the CPUfreq performance governor on Linux 3.12 with the Core i7 4770K Haswell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So basically there is no need to force the performance governor with the upcoming 3.12 kernel.

Comment

Great post and great job for all this benchmarkings.
      It would be cool a radeon free driver + kernel 3.12 + dpm + mesa 10.0 vs catalyst. Maybe we could be surprised about the results

Comment

I would appreciate some testing on AMD CPUs as well though, just to see how general this is.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          Great post and great job for all this benchmarkings.
          It would be cool a radeon free driver + kernel 3.12 + dpm + mesa 10.0 vs catalyst. Maybe we could be surprised about the results
          And catalyst should be run with performance governor, otherwise it won't be fair.

Comment

Michael, what does Intel P-State look like compared to 3.11 and 3.12 ondemand?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
              And catalyst should be run with performance governor, otherwise it won't be fair.
              Another thing, with the "performance" flag activated in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state. That helps the DPM a lot, not sure if it should be necessary done for every ati card.

Comment

@Michael:
                The actual power consumption would be interesting for 3.11 vs 3.12. Maybe the new defaults for the ondemand governor allow longer sleeping periods.

Also, could you run the same set of benchmarks (3.11 ondemand, 3.12 ondemand, 3.12 performance) for an AMD APU?
                Last edited by oleid; 15 October 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

One interesting case seems to be missing: 3.11 with performance gouvernor.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    One interesting case seems to be missing: 3.11 with performance gouvernor.
                    Might as well try it with 3.12 too

I'd like to see the comparative results of:

Intel platform w/ HD 6950
                    - (broken p-state, aka with cpufreq) ondemand, performance
                    - with p-state
                    - 3.11 v 3.12
                    - catalyst vs OSS
                    - requires 12 runs

AMD platform w/ discrete HD 6950
                    - ondemand, performance
                    - 3.11 v 3.12
                    - catalyst vs OSS
                    - requires 8 runs

AMD platform w/ high end APU (say an A10)
                    - ondemand, performance
                    - 3.11 v 3.12
                    - catalyst vs OSS
                    - requires 8 runs

Michael, I expect the results to be on my desk by 5PM

Comment

Working...
                    X