No announcement yet.

radeon-profile: tool for changing profiles and monitoring some GPU parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is amdgpu.dpm=1 meant to be on or off for radeon-profile to work ?

or is amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff the secret source needed ?

using Radeon=Profile 20190903 / 5.3.6-050306-generic / 3.0 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-3a20ef4 2019-10-22 bionic-oibaf-ppa)

if I have profiles set manually I can adjust the GPU clocks , but it completely ignores fan speeds and keeps running low fan speeds , I can not get it to hold 50% plus and it keeps dropping to 20% roasting it @ 100 deg 200watts
    ( I know this card peaks out at 330 watts power draw R9 290 from crypto mining days and using performance bios ),
    My gaming fan profile is normally 1:1 , ie 70 deg = 70%

if I set it to profile_peak ( with a low core speed set ie 300mhz ) it will run core 483mhz with 60% fan speed 90 watts
    if I have it set to a high core speed ie 950mhz ) it will run that core speed with passable fan speeds
    ( anything below that default max core speed runs 483mhz
    thankfully this still at least gives me 60 FPS in Doom3 so its what I am currently using when playing games finally Ubuntu / Steam is running games sweet with Vulkan

so I just throw it on low profile when using desktop but it runs high temps @ 300mhz because fan speeds are lower than I would like

I think it might be because of power cap settings which is set at 208w but I have no idea how to change this

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...bs?usp=sharing

thats a shared folder with screen shots / screen recording etc , apparently I have no attachment permissions to add them here

with Vulkan now supporting Multi GPU i really want to get radeon-profile working so i can throw my numerous R9 290's into a PC again

I also would like a Underclocking option , their is a nice sweet spot performance / power usage for multi GPU
    Last edited by MasterCATZ; 27 October 2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• how do we gain acess to the power cap settings ?

https://github.com/marazmista/radeon..._overclock.cpp

the states table for me is not clickable and can not find where to change the power caps
      for now adjusting with
      echo 120000000 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card1/device/hwmon/hwmon1/power1_cap

using radeon-profile-daemon but settings don't seem to hold
      ie) set up the graphs but when exit and come back adjustments are lost
      fan / gpu / mem speeds are on auto instead of manual profiles

and once this has happened I loose fan controls , its seems as soon as auto mode is loaded I loose access and manual overrides stop working

I would have thought a daemon would keep the settings intact when gui open closed ?

amdgpu: [powerplay]
      failed to send message 282 ret is 254
      manual fan speed control should be enabled first

aio@aio:/etc/systemd/system$ systemctl status radeon-profile-daemon.service
      ● radeon-profile-daemon.service - radeon-profile daemon
      Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/radeon-profile-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-11-01 09:10:30 AEST; 1h 40min ago
      Main PID: 6125 (radeon-profile-)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
      CGroup: /system.slice/radeon-profile-daemon.service
      └─6125 /usr/bin/radeon-profile-daemon

Nov 01 09:10:30 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Awaiting connections...
      Nov 01 09:11:54 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Connecting to the client
      Nov 01 10:28:27 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Client disconnected
      Nov 01 10:28:27 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Awaiting connections...
      Nov 01 10:29:22 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Connecting to the client
      Nov 01 10:39:45 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Client disconnected
      Nov 01 10:39:45 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Awaiting connections...
      Nov 01 10:45:43 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Connecting to the client
      Nov 01 10:46:23 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Client disconnected
      Nov 01 10:46:23 aio radeon-profile-daemon[6125]: Awaiting connections...

other errors i have dug up through journalctl , maybe I will roll back to kernel before Sep

[drm] add ip block number 5 <powerplay>
      amdgpu: [powerplay] hwmgr_sw_init smu backed is ci_smu
      Last edited by MasterCATZ; 31 October 2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatNerdGuy View Post
        Excuse the noob question, but how do I get to install the latest version? I can compile everything w/o errors, but the old installation guide here no longer works for me since I cant get gksu.
        What DE are you using? KDE uses "kdesu", LXDE uses "lxsu", and "xdg-su" will try to launch the correct graphical sudo helper for whatever desktop you're using.

Comment

• Originally posted by MasterCATZ View Post
          is amdgpu.dpm=1 meant to be on or off for radeon-profile to work ?

or is amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff the secret source needed ?

using Radeon=Profile 20190903 / 5.3.6-050306-generic / 3.0 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-3a20ef4 2019-10-22 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
          DPM should be On/1.

My amdgpu kernel command lines are "amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff amdgpu.deep_color=1 amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1". The dpm=1 and dc=1 are supposed to be my default values and shouldn't be necessary, but I have a stick up my ass about explicitly setting my default values over relying on autoconfig magic.

WattmanGTK is a good program to get what ppfeaturemask value you need to unlock your GPUs under/over clock settings. 0xffffffff unlocks everything and, depending on the card, that isn't necessarily a good thing. 0xfffd7fff is what was reported by WattmanGTK for my 580 to use to only unlock the under/over clock settings. I've experienced random issues with 0xffffffff whereas 0xfffd7fff has been going strong for me since March (my 580 is undervolted with slight overclocks to memory speeds and a tweaked frequency curve).

That said, you're using a CIK card and overclocking can be hit and miss on them. While it might be better now according to some recent Phoronix articles, it never worked on my 260x. That GPU died in February.

Comment

• Having issues with the latest download from github. Builds fine but it no longer sees my card. Running it with root works. I then tried running the daemon manually. No errors except:
            Code:
            "radeon-profile-daemon (v. 20190603)"
            Awaiting connections...
            Tried building the daemon again and re-enabling the systemd service but noting. The daemon is running, just not connecting it seems.

Edit:
            Never mind. Brain fart. Just needed to remove and install the service again.
            Last edited by Melcar; 05 January 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Hi people,
              I can't choose any DPM profile. it will always stay at "performance".
              [amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff] is in my kernel line.
              any idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by hej75ow View Post
                Hi people,
                any idea?
                no edit function here?
                just wanted to add my card: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5

Comment

• Originally posted by hej75ow View Post
                  Hi people,
                  any idea?
                  There are no longer separate profiles defined in the vbios for performance vs battery. There haven't been for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There are no longer separate profiles defined in the vbios for performance vs battery. There haven't been for years.
                    Oh sorry. So why is it still in the app? very confusing.

btw: Is there any guide for undervolting? I'm not a gamer, I just want it to run 4k movies fluently

Comment

• Hi, I really like the Radeon Profile application!!
                      I have a couple of problems using it, if anyone can help, it would be great, I haven't found any answers so far:
                      1. In Overclock, the States table tab is always greyed out/disabled. Someone has mentioned it in this discussion but no answer yet. I run the daemon fro, the sudoers file with root permission. I have tried anything I found in the web with no success.
                      2. Somehow all custom settings are omitted after some time, it could be half an hour or so. For example the fan control curve is not followed. The same with percent overclock. They start at my settings and after a while the card follows some other settings, but definitely not mine.
                      3. The clock values appear wrong, I get constantly the value 4.29494e+7MHz!
                      I have installed amdgpu-pro drivers v20.20 on ubuntu 18.04.5 HWE with kernel 5.4.0-54.
                      The Radeon Profile version is 20200824

Comment

Working...
                      X