• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Try latest mesa from git or try setting:
    RADEON_VA=0
    in your /etc/environment
    What does this actually mean? Will it disable acceleration for video overlay (xv)?

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
      What does this actually mean? Will it disable acceleration for video overlay (xv)?
      It disables the use the GPU virtual memory in the 3D driver. No change in any functionality.

Comment

pandev check your bios in the powermanagement section and verify the temperature threshold and which action to take when it pass that threashold since in some motherboards you can force a restart if temperature reach certain level

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          pandev check your bios in the powermanagement section and verify the temperature threshold and which action to take when it pass that threashold since in some motherboards you can force a restart if temperature reach certain level
          It's a good idea NOT to override this setting. It is a safety feature, designed to prevent your hardware from burning up and being ruined in case it gets too hot. However, if it's possible, you could try setting this to a lower temperature to see if it causes your computer to reboot in less time.

Comment

In general, "Three" years is the window for good support.
            I've used Linux for almost 20 years.

As you probably have read through the excellant performance evaluations here at Phoronix, new hardware hardly fairs that well.
            * Intel Haswell
            * Retna Displays
            * APU's from AMD
            * EFI / Secure Boot

I have an E450 and earlier this year we got a decent driver from AMD. I'm using the beta at the moment with a hack to remove the "Beta" watermark.
            It has good performance, but that system is almost 2 years old.

I'm not trying to discourage you but your millage may fare better in a few more months.

It's dishearting that Windows 8 will operate great on the APU's but a copy of Distribution X runs miserably.

Comment

"fuck you nvidia"
              only company to make graphics cards with drivers that actually work, support features, and ACTUALLY HAVE MODERN OPENGL IMPLEMENTATIONS

Comment

I tried for one day lubuntu 13.04 with stock kernel and mesa stock.., and no reboots...mhhh

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  I tried for one day lubuntu 13.04 with stock kernel and mesa stock.., and no reboots...mhhh
                  if you are new to linux and don't know how to set up things, wait for ubuntu 13.10 (beta is good enough)... and remember to enable DPM: "radeon.dpm=1" in /etc/default/grub.
                  IIRC there was a (very) recent patch for a similar bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                    It's a good idea NOT to override this setting. It is a safety feature, designed to prevent your hardware from burning up and being ruined in case it gets too hot. However, if it's possible, you could try setting this to a lower temperature to see if it causes your computer to reboot in less time.
                    Well my amd 990 motherboard had an similar issue of random hard restarts, turn out i cleared the bios as i always and optimize it later but in the uefi bios was a hidden temperature setting in cpu info that had by default 40c and restart as default action and as you can imagine my fx6100 hitted that wall pretty fast since the normal oprational temperature is around 65-72c under heavy load, took me hours to find out.

My point is sometimes mobos come with absolute retarded option from factory and it can cause issues like this

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      "fuck you nvidia"
                      only company to make graphics cards with drivers that actually work, support features, and ACTUALLY HAVE MODERN OPENGL IMPLEMENTATIONS
                      But all they provide are binary blobs. No thanks. Again "Fuck You NVIDIA", you can take your shit back.

Comment

Working...
                      X