Ondemand governor dramatically slows down mesa perfomance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    Learn to understand comments and how to reply. Who still replies with a million quotes?! If you do not understand a comment then read it again until you do and do not reply before then. You really want to be grateful for the insights I have given you and do not want to become a star in a drama.

Back to the topic... Where is your problem with the ondemand governor now? It is gone. You have learned that it is not broken, that there is already code in the kernel to handle your case, and where to look for your actual problem. If you need a few more extra FPS then we can discuss what else you can do. Start with telling us your hardware specs, the distribution and the desktop you are using and also list the applications where you have a problem with. If it is just with benchmarks then I suggest you stop running them.
    How about every game released by steam on all distro's ?
    Yes I found a solution. Set it to performance instead of, on demand.

AMD phenom II X4 @ 3.2ghz. 4 gig ram
    hd 5750 1 gig ram.

Comment

If you need a few more extra FPS then we can discuss what else you can do. Start with telling us your hardware specs, the distribution and the desktop you are using and also list the applications where you have a problem with. If it is just with benchmarks then I suggest you stop running them.
      I wonder if I should have added sarcasm tags to my previous comments to make my point more clear to you.

No, I don't need few extra FPS and I don't need your laughable advices, I need a quality user-friendly open-source software that provides good performance without requiring manual tweaks and workarounds to make it usable. If you can help with that, feel free to send your patches to corresponding mailing lists, instead of making fun of yourself by giving the advices to the people to stop testing, fixing and improving any software that has problems.

So no, I won't stop running benchmarks and many other apps, especially the ones that have problems, because it's exactly the way how the software issues are reproduced, diagnosed and fixed by developers. Though you already made it quite clear that you have no clue about the quality software development.

So if you are unable to help me and others with improving the software in question, please relieve me of your arrogant ignorance.
      Last edited by vadimg; 06 June 2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
        I wonder if I should have added sarcasm tags to my previous comments to make my point more clear to you.

No, I don't need few extra FPS and I don't need your laughable advices, I need a quality user-friendly open-source software that provides good performance without requiring manual tweaks and workarounds to make it usable. If you can help with that, feel free to send your patches to corresponding mailing lists, instead of making fun of yourself by giving the advices to the people to stop testing, fixing and improving any software that has problems.

So no, I won't stop running benchmarks and many other apps, especially the ones that have problems, because it's exactly the way how the software issues are reproduced, diagnosed and fixed by developers. Though you already made it quite clear that you have no clue about the quality software development.

So if you are unable to help me and others with improving the software in question, please relieve me of your arrogant ignorance.
        *lol*

You call me arrogant? Well, sure, go ahead if it makes you happy.

Just give the GPU driver developers some more time. The open source drivers are still not where they could be and the developers are working on it. Have some more patience. Once the drivers get faster will the CPU spend more time in user space and the ondemand governor will work without needing to be tweaked.

If your problem is with games under WINE then you should try to disable the debugging in WINE, because it is turned on by default. You can gain somewhere between 5% to 20% more FPS with some games by setting:

export WINEDEBUG="-all"

Some games also run faster when you force them to use WINE's internal .DLLs instead of those shipped with the game. I suggest you read about it on the WINE website (keyword is dll-overrides). Many games have their own comment section at WineHQ and there can one find tweaks on how to make WINE run better with a particular game.

If you do not have the patience for this then you better use Windows. Games still run much better under Windows than under Linux.
        Last edited by sdack; 06 June 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

*lol*

Just give the GPU driver developers some more time. The open source drivers are still not where they could be and the developers are working on it. Have some more patience. Once the drivers get faster will the CPU spend more time in user space and the ondemand governor will work without needing to be tweaked.

If your problem is with games under WINE then you should try to disable the debugging in WINE, because it is turned on by default. You can gain somewhere between 5% to 20% more FPS with some games by setting:

export WINEDEBUG="-all"

Some games also run faster when you force them to use WINE's internal .DLLs instead of those shipped with the game. I suggest you read about it on the WINE website (keyword is dll-overrides). Many games have their own comment section at WineHQ and there can one find tweaks on how to make WINE run better with a particular game.

If you do not have the patience for this then you better use Windows. Games still run much better under Windows than under Linux.

I don't think you realize who you are giving your advice to. I'll leave it to you to figure it out.

Comment

Last edited by bridgman; 06 June 2013, 10:21 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

*lol*

Just give the GPU driver developers some more time.

hahahahahahaha. ha ha ha.

ok, this made me laugh.

I don't think you realize who you are giving your advice to. I'll leave it to you to figure it out.
              From what i've seen, i doubt sdack will bother looking it up, so i'll just tell you: vadim is the primary developer who's been optimizing the r600g drivers.

Sorry if this spoiled everyone's fun. Just think of how many more insightful performance tips we could have gotten. No doubt sdack can let vadim know the best way of getting that extra 3% on all sorts of different games.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 06 June 2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Using the EVE Online MMO as a test, here is a comparison between three environments. The OS is Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" on an AMD Phenom 9850 with a GTX260 and Nvidia 304.88 driver, kernel 3.9.3 and MESA 8.0.5.

Under GNOME 3.4 is the frame rate 80 fps.

Switching from GNOME to Xfce 4.8 is the frame rate 91 fps.

Turning off all debugging inside WINE puts the frame rate at 98 fps. Notice that the frame rate itself becomes more stable.

Finally, switching to the performance governor makes no noticeable change other than my computer drawing more power from the wall.

The same game under Windows Vista. The frame rate here is about 370 fps. This only for a comparison.

I did not use the default WINE version that comes with Debian as it fails to run the game out-of-the-box with sound and used a locally compiled WINE 1.5.30.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Obviously, as he fails to show any of the experience you credit him with. He fails to make a point, brings no evidence to his claim other than glxgears and lightsmark. I am looking forward to him stepping of the soap box and "hitting" me with some evidence. I am having coffee and pancakes by the way.
                  Last edited by sdack; 07 June 2013, 07:38 AM.

Comment

smitty you meanie. This could've gone on for days.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      smitty you meanie. This could've gone on for days.
                      I doubt he is coming back. Once a game can run at speeds similar to Windows will the load average go up by itself and the ondemand governor will increase the core frequencies automatically. He must have realised by now that I am right and know that there are a lot more actual bottlenecks inside Linux and that the ondemand governor needs no fixing. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X