• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArtKun
    replied
    Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
    Using force was clearly a bad idea.
    Yeah, but it worked fine for me on Fedora a couple weeks ago. I'm using FOSS radeon driver now, and it works like a charm. No problem at all

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
    So I tried, but it failed, some files were changed wtf? and it could not remove all files.
    My guess is you got a Mesa/DRM update through YaST. I think Catalyst installs its own version of one of the libraries, and as that file was overwritten by the YaST update, the installation program couldn't find its own.
    Next time you have this issue, as someone else suggested, delete the Xorg.conf file, then reinstall the same Catalyst version that you had already installed to get the library back. Then uninstall and upgrade as usual.
    BTW I usually install Catalyst from a tty, with Xorg shutdown (init 3).

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
    Probably you should've removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead of reinstalling the whole OS X.Org was configured to use fglrx, which was not available after removing Catalyst.
    Yeah probably, but the problem started with uninstall (the normal way) not working.

It said something about some files being changed, and they could not be removed.
    Using force was clearly a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Before You attempt to install Catalyst drivers again, make sure You have installed gcc, binutils, make,... etc, and especially kernel headers (kernel-desktop-devel package). Also You can try to setup ssh access to your pc, next time your desktop crash - You'll be able to login remotely to it, and try to fix problems without re-install.

Sorry for my bad English.
    Thank you. OpenSUSE has a one click install for the amd drivers, but not for the beta drivers.
    If you want the beta drivers, you need the command line.

The way I see it though, if you're afraid to reinstall your os, don't use beta drivers.

I like the shh idea.

I don't have a clue what was wrong though, I have installed the beta drives before, without any problems.

I am assuming that the problem came from the drivers having the same name.
    So firefox added a 1 to the name. Maybe thats why the installer could not find some files.
    ( it complained about some files being changed )

AMD did warn me to not use force, and that's the main reason for me warning others, don't use force.
    Next time I will try to solve the the problem, without --force.

Leave a comment:

• ArtKun
    replied
    Probably you should've removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead of reinstalling the whole OS X.Org was configured to use fglrx, which was not available after removing Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Before You attempt to install Catalyst drivers again, make sure You have installed gcc, binutils, make,... etc, and especially kernel headers (kernel-desktop-devel package). Also You can try to setup ssh access to your pc, next time your desktop crash - You'll be able to login remotely to it, and try to fix problems without re-install.

Sorry for my bad English.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    I like to warn other people who already had 13.3 beta 3 installed ( the older ?) ones.

When I tried to install them, amd said I had to un install the old driver first.

So I tried, but it failed, some files were changed wtf? and it could not remove all files.

Leaving the desktop did not solve this.

So I added --force to the un install command.
    And that was the end of my desktop, and openSUSE 12.3 installation.

Then I reinstalled openSUSE without formatting my home partition.

You gotta love Linux.
    I only had to install a few program.
    Thunderbird being one of them, but after this all my old emails are still there. ( and the address book )
    Firefox, all bookmarks and forum passwords survived the reinstall too.
    Reinstalled steam, and I did not even had to type my log in details, nor reinstall the games.

Steam is working now with the opensource driver on openSUSE, but I cant start the game serious sam 3, it reports the drivers are too old.
    That will be fixed after I install the amd drivers again though.

Not sure yet which ones I will pick, the latest beta again or the latest non beta.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    My apologies, I (re)downloaded the 13.3 beta 3 package, and the md5 sum differs from the 13.3 beta 3 zip I downloaded the day it was released.
    Thank you for the info, now I will (re) download them them too.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Back on topic, AMD's page still lists 13.3 beta 3 from last month, it might be time to stop announcing stuff that's not officially out because some random Bozo McLame found a random URL on AMD's servers.
    My apologies, I (re)downloaded the 13.3 beta 3 package, and the md5 sum differs from the 13.3 beta 3 zip I downloaded the day it was released.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    After a discussion on the Slackware forum it is now official, Slackware will revert back from Xserver 1.14 to 1.13 for the upcoming Slackware 14.1, just because the Slackware team doesn't want to release a version that will not be able to run with AMD's proprietary drivers.

Thank you AMD, you have slowed down Slackware's development.
    That's the first time I hear of a distribution which revert from its original plan due to the Catalyst driver.
    Usually those distributions don't care and you have to downgrade manually. And I think this is the correct way.
    Arch, for instance, provides separate repositories for xorg-server 1.12 and 1.13 (xorg112 and xorg113).
    AFAIK, the only reason they exist is to support AMD Catalyst users (xorg112 is required for the legacy Catalyst).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X