Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSAA Anti-Aliasing Finally Comes To Radeon R300g

Phoronix: MSAA Anti-Aliasing Finally Comes To Radeon R300g

While the AMD Radeon "R300g" Gallium3D driver has been effectively "done" for a while, only this weekend has multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA) support come to this open-source graphics driver that supports the ATI Radeon X1000 (R500) GPUs and older hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is also only standard MSAA while the proprietary AMD and NVIDIA drivers with modern GPUs support much more advanced anti-aliasing (AA) methods.
    Gallium (including r300g) also supports MLAA.

Comment

I was just about to bring up MLAA. Can we get an update on the status of it?

Comment

Thanks Marek! I'll updated my PPA tomorrow and test on my RV530.

Comment

Test on a LiveCD?

I have a RS690 (r400) that is unfortunately stuck on Windows right now. How long does piglet usually take to run? Any expected issues with running from a LiveCD?

Is this the latest piglit website? http://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/piglit/

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
            I have a RS690 (r400) that is unfortunately stuck on Windows right now. How long does piglet usually take to run? Any expected issues with running from a LiveCD?

Is this the latest piglit website? http://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/piglit/
            Yes, download it with git and then see its README: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/tree/README

Comment

The all.test can take many hours (I tried it some months ago), you can probably do it with a LiveCD if you have enough RAM since you'll have to download a lot of packages to be able to use it. I'd suggest to run the LiveCD image from a USB drive where you can download and save packages after reboting.

Comment

I don't recommend running all.tests. Running quick-driver.tests is enough and doesn't take so long.

Comment

So Merek, how do you want my money? Very spiffy.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                    I was just about to bring up MLAA. Can we get an update on the status of it?
                    No changes w/ MLAA since the 8.0 release. The post-processing in general has had some small optimizations.

The MLAA implementation is essentially complete, so there isn't really anything to change. New algorithms, like TXAA/FXAA could be added by someone interested as an alternative.

Comment

Working...
                    X