No announcement yet.

AMD 8.40.4 Driver -- One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R300 support shouldn't be dropped anytime in the near future.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

r300 will likely be around in the driver at least until r700 comes out.

Comment

Works on my 32Bit Debian now. fglrx just doesn't like custom modelines and it hates telling me this, too.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          Does that explain why ATI is stonewalling any customer service request made about the current driver?
          Yes. That would most definitely be the reason. It also means that they're focusing a substantive amount of their OpenGL dev team resources to getting an Orca driver out- which means Michael's statements MAY be 100% accurate as to when we'll see the new codebase driver.

Comment

Exciting...

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Yes. That would most definitely be the reason. It also means that they're focusing a substantive amount of their OpenGL dev team resources to getting an Orca driver out- which means Michael's statements MAY be 100% accurate as to when we'll see the new codebase driver.
            This is very exciting. Very excting!

I think the biggest problem is the way ATI chooses to work with the community. I mean why are we getting this from testers who have signed an NDA (I'm assuming). This is open source software (linux), even if you develop proprietary software for it you can still communicate in the same open manner that the community does and expects.

Perhaps it's just too annoying. Open source people do sometimes come across as having a sense of entitlement, etc. Still, they could at least officially acknowledge this so that we are not left thinking that ATI must be abandoning us.

Who knows, I'm just happy to hear about this (I can only assume this means sweet, sweet AIGLX support).

Comment

Originally posted by nehalem View Post
              This is very exciting. Very excting!

I think the biggest problem is the way ATI chooses to work with the community. I mean why are we getting this from testers who have signed an NDA (I'm assuming). This is open source software (linux), even if you develop proprietary software for it you can still communicate in the same open manner that the community does and expects.

Perhaps it's just too annoying. Open source people do sometimes come across as having a sense of entitlement, etc. Still, they could at least officially acknowledge this so that we are left thinking that ATI must be abandoning us.

Who knows, I'm just happy to hear about this.
              AMD is a publicly traded company and have rules they must comply with for announcements through press releases, etc.

It was mentioned earlier this year in an AMD inteview to the effect of a new "XP and Linux OpenGL driver will be available later this year". With that said, that is why I am able to confirm that there is a new Linux driver coming out later this year. Beyond that you will need to wait for the launch day when Phoronix will be publishing several articles with a wide variety of benchmarks and other information. I am not allowed to comment on any specifics or features until that time.

Additional information on AMD Linux activities will be published at Phoronix later this year.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                World of Warcraft sometimes crashes now instead of hanging while trying to "Enter World", but it still doesn't work.

Still lots of "BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context" errors in the dmesg log.

A staggering 60 fps in glxgears.

I have generated an atisysteminfo-report, if anyone cares.

Chris:
                I'm running Gentoo AMD64 stable - (cept wine/ati-drviers) have both a 9550 and an x1650 pro agp card current wine version is 0.9.42 and ati-drivers for 8.39.4 -- (hand built ebuild w4m) I've not had a major issue with WOW on wine and ati fglrx since the 8.27 series of atidrivers - mostly with wine and alsa lately -- what is your hardware/software?

Comment

Michael
                  two questions - a) can those of us with 1440x900 displays now get correct resolutions with this driver? (see my posts in 8.39.4)

b) any word on the pcie chips on agp bus cards issue? I'm *still* not seeing it listed as a knowledgebase issue -- and I'm seeing several folks with the same problems I'm seeing on the X1650Pro agp, with other PCIE native chips on agp bus connections.
                  (not just here, but on Gentoo, wine and in a couple of other fora where such types hang out *grin*) Some of the wine folks are *serious* linux pros so its not just a newb issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                    Michael
                    two questions - a) can those of us with 1440x900 displays now get correct resolutions with this driver? (see my posts in 8.39.4)

b) any word on the pcie chips on agp bus cards issue? I'm *still* not seeing it listed as a knowledgebase issue -- and I'm seeing several folks with the same problems I'm seeing on the X1650Pro agp, with other PCIE native chips on agp bus connections.
                    (not just here, but on Gentoo, wine and in a couple of other fora where such types hang out *grin*) Some of the wine folks are *serious* linux pros so its not just a newb issue.
                    Well, when you get a new automobile do you still run into the same set of issues that you had with the old one?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Well, when you get a new automobile do you still run into the same set of issues that you had with the old one?

Umm Michael -- If you've ever heard of the "corvair" the answer would be yes. *grin*

anyhow -- to answer my own questions - A) 16/9 video mode is CORRECTLY detected and enabled on 8.40 *WOOT* (let me tell you - at 1920x1200 this screen suxors)
                      Now to see if sticking the x1650Pro agp in gets me any agp accelleration.

Comment

Working...
                      X