Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by amphigory View Post
    Christian K?nig started H.264 work back in January I believe. It should be safe as long as it is left as a build option (akin to '--enable-texture-float' switch).
    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

    I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

      I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.
      It's "safe to say" in the sense that nobody will hunt you down and hurt you for saying it, but (reads again to be sure) yep, everything else you said in that post was wrong.

      Comment


      • #73
        Slightly OT but I'm wondering if Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA will all have their collective asses kicked by ARMv8 (64 bit) based chipsets? My Samsung Galaxy SII (Exynos 4, ARMv7 core) delivers awesome performance considering it is such a low power device. I'd buy a laptop with ARMv8 today if I could. It would be cool to have a notebook one only had to charge every three days or so... :-)

        Edit: Just read the NVIDIA is jumping on the ARM bandwagon...
        Last edited by amphigory; 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM.

        Comment


        • #74
          Jam Tomorrow

          This is all starting to sound reminiscent of Chiang Kai Shek, who promised every Chinese New Year that "We will retake the mainland". The truth is the "Nationalists" went further into decline with each passing year.

          And so it is with AMD and their lame duck open source efforts. Things are going backwards, not forward. I was once an advocate for the open source radeon driver, because I was a weak-willed, gullible fool, believing the extravagant promises.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by gordboy View Post
            This is all starting to sound reminiscent of Chiang Kai Shek, who promised every Chinese New Year that "We will retake the mainland". The truth is the "Nationalists" went further into decline with each passing year.

            And so it is with AMD and their lame duck open source efforts. Things are going backwards, not forward. I was once an advocate for the open source radeon driver, because I was a weak-willed, gullible fool, believing the extravagant promises.
            I'll see you at the party.

            Cheers,
            Mao Zedong

            Comment


            • #76
              Christian K?nig started H.264 work back in January I believe. It should be safe as long as it is left as a build option (akin to '--enable-texture-float' switch).
              And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

              I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              It's "safe to say" in the sense that nobody will hunt you down and hurt you for saying it, but (reads again to be sure) yep, everything else you said in that post was wrong.
              Great news. I'm taking this as official confirmation direct from AMD that he's currently working on h.264 support and it will be available to end users soon.

              Don't disappoint me

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                soon.
                I doesn't see this anywhere, but I hope to see UVD support soon too.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  yo don't understand the Bridgman rhetoric he work on h.264 he also work on a UVD solution but this does not mean they release anything.
                  The original post said they wouldn't release anything, and then bridgman said that was wrong.

                  I don't think there's any rhetoric there, although obviously they could change their plans I suppose.

                  Edit: I guess it said "in the coming years", and obviously I would be pretty disappointed if it really takes years.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Great news. I'm taking this as official confirmation direct from AMD that he's currently working on h.264 support and it will be available to end users soon.
                    The opposite of "nothing" is not "everything"; you are taking the most optimistic possible interpretation of what I said, which can lead to disappointment.

                    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...
                    Most of the work Christian has done since he started at AMD has been related to video decode, both with shaders and with UVD. He started with shaders, but switched to UVD when the shader work proved to be less than promising (which we discussed here several months ago). The issue was that the decode work

                    EDIT - where did the rest of my post go ?

                    OK, short version -- as posted here a couple of times before, shader work turned out not as well as hoped because the parts we could accelerate on GPU had already been implemented pretty efficiently on x86 SIMD instructions, so Christian switched to working on UVD. We don't know yet if we will be able to release the code, but Christian and others are looking into ways to make that possible.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      We don't know yet if we will be able to release the code, but Christian and others are looking into ways to make that possible.
                      Like I said: "you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open drivers for the coming years.".

                      Btw. This is not an interpretation of your words, but my experience in general. When there is no clear timetable and the only thing communicated is something like "we don't know when", it's either not going to happen or it's going to take a very long time.

                      So I stand by my words: "you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open drivers for the coming years."

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X