Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD A6-3400M not working on Linux kernel 3.0

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit version.
    Tried compiling kernel 3.0.4 and used the 3.0 kernel from xorg-edgers and neither of them work. No display on screen although the system does seem to be loading. This is on the Asus K53TA-BBR6 laptop.
    Haven't tried newer kernel versions since kernel.org is down.

On Fedora 15 64-bit with latest updates and 2.6.40 kernel, also not working.

2.6.38 kernel uses VESA for both distros.

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit version.
    On Fedora 15 64-bit with latest updates and 2.6.40 kernel, also not working.
    I think the A-series is a bit too new for even Ubuntu 11.04. Try an 11.10 beta or the equivalent work-in-progress Fedora.

Updating the kernel gets you closer but you need to pick up new microcode as well. If you look in dmesg output you'll probably see messages along the lines of "can't find SUMO firmware"
    Last edited by bridgman; 18 September 2011, 08:20 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

For Ubuntu you can get an new Kernel @ http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and an new mesa etc. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...aphics-Drivers

Comment

Not working with Ubuntu 11.10 beta 1 64-bit dvd either. The menu shows up, I select live desktop option and absolutely no display. It does boot into the desktop though because I can hear the login sound playing.

Comment

Did you tried booting with nomodeset ?

I have the same board AMD a6-3400m with a Radeon ATI hd 6520. (Its on a HP notebook I got at a very good price...).

I'm still trying to make it work with the open source driver without success (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati).
          I'm on Funtoo (based on gentoo) with the 3.1.0-rc4-git2 kernel, and masked versions of Xorg and video drivers, libdrm, libkms, mesa, ...).
          I had the same problem but I was able to connect to the machine with ssh from my other machine. You have to install & config sshd before in a chrooted shell on your machine.

I have enable the following kernel options for frame buffer :

CONFIG_FB=y
          CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
          CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
          CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
          CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y

and for radeon:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
          CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
          # CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

But I think You should set "CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=n" instead.

Take a look at http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo

in case of trouble (black screen), if you use grub to start, try to edit the grub command and add "vga=711" kernel options or (radeon.modeset=0). I can't confirm now. But I think the AMD ATI Radeon HD 6520 is only usable with the proprietary drivers from ATI. This card is too recent right now (mid april 2011). May be in a few months it will be ready.

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

where can I get the SUMO microcode? my laptop also has a Radeon HD6650M so will I need to get firmware for that too?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfMonk View Post
              I have the same board AMD a6-3400m with a Radeon ATI hd 6520. (Its on a HP notebook I got at a very good price...).

I'm still trying to make it work with the open source driver without success (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati).
              I'm on Funtoo (based on gentoo) with the 3.1.0-rc4-git2 kernel, and masked versions of Xorg and video drivers, libdrm, libkms, mesa, ...).
              I had the same problem but I was able to connect to the machine with ssh from my other machine. You have to install & config sshd before in a chrooted shell on your machine.

I have enable the following kernel options for frame buffer :

CONFIG_FB=y
              CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
              CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
              CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
              CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y

and for radeon:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
              CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
              # CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

But I think You should set "CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=n" instead.

Take a look at http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo

in case of trouble (black screen), if you use grub to start, try to edit the grub command and add "vga=711" kernel options or (radeon.modeset=0). I can't confirm now. But I think the AMD ATI Radeon HD 6520 is only usable with the proprietary drivers from ATI. This card is too recent right now (mid april 2011). May be in a few months it will be ready.

Regards,

Bernard
              thanks Perfmonk, will try that. problem is i can't see anything on booting the live CD, so can't install ubuntu 11.10. i might be able to install using the alternate iso and then I can try changing grub settings.

Comment

Test signature

Comment

Llano chips are only supported by KMS. evergreen was the last generation with UMS support.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Llano chips are only supported by KMS. evergreen was the last generation with UMS support.
                    so radeon.modeset=0 won't work?

Comment

Working...
                    X