No announcement yet.

HDMI resize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you're looking at the KDE display settings panel rather than Catalyst Control Center? Do you get something different if you open up a console and run the program "amdcccle"?

Comment

Originally posted by pchristy View Post
      RemcoL: What version of the Catalyst drivers are you running? And is it 32 or 64 bit?
      11.5 on Debian Testing 64-bit with KDE 4

Comment

ExCyber: No, I get exactly the same if I run your suggested command from the console. My sttings window looks exactly like RemcoL's, except that it has only one tab: Information.

The other three (HDTV, Pixel Format and Adjustments) are all missing.

Interestingly, it seems to recognise my TV (Panasonic LCD) as a projector! (Although it is correctly named in the "Information" panel!)

RemcoL: OK, I'm now completely baffled! Did you install your Catalyst drivers direct from the ATi website, or are they from a Debian repository?

If they came from a repository, I'm wondering if Debian compiled them with some extra parameters, and if so, what? I just ran the ati-blah.run file without any extra parameters.

--
        Pete

Comment

slackware is most likely not the primary target for fglrx, but maybe you forgot to uninstall an older fglrx package?
          Code:
          /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh --force
          every update of mesa/xorg will usually replace files when you dont use packages - same applies for the nvidia-installer. the latest amdcccle should have got those options.

Comment

Well, this was a fresh install of Slackware on a new laptop, so there shouldn't have been any issues. But just to be sure, I un-installed as suggested, re-booted and re-installed the catalyst drivers. It hasn't made any difference. The only tab on the HDMI display is "Information".

I stopped using Ati cards on my desktops some years ago because of the poor Linux support. Unfortunately, with laptops, you don't get much choice, and the only one that met my criteria came with an Ati graphics card - so I have to try and make it work!

But thanks for the suggestions!

--
            Pete

Comment

Maybe try running it as root.

Comment

In the "Start menu" there are two options for the Catalyst Control Center: One to run it as a user, the other to run it as an administrator (root). Only the latter allows you to make any changes, so that's how I've been running it.

It asks for the root password as soon as you select it, so I guess it is really running as root!

--
                Pete

Comment

Well you can select some things as user too, maybe try the other option.

Comment

I thought I had already tried it as a user, but went back to check again: and no, there's still only the "information" tab available for the secondary display.

I think there may be a clue in that - although the text box correctly identifies the secondary display as a Panasonic HD TV - it actually shows up as a "Projector", where Remcol's showed "DTV".

Could the drivers be mis-identifying the TV, and if so, would that make a difference, and how would I force it to recognise it as a HDTV?

--
                    Pete
                    Last edited by pchristy; 13 June 2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I believe the driver code looks at resolution - not sure if it needs to be running at one of the HDTV resolutions (eg 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc..) or just have the resolutions exposed via EDID - to be classed as an HDTV and have the screen reduced to ensure menu visibility even if the TV is set to overscan.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X