X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
    But this firmware it's not free, so is not included in any free GNU/Linux distribution, even Debian does not ship it anymore.
    Sure, but it's not part of the drivers and it doesn't make the drivers any less free. Some GPU vendors burn the microcode into the chip, others load it at power-up.

If the microcode was burned into the chip so you couldn't see it being loaded, would that somehow make the drivers more free ?

Leave a comment:

• towo2099
    replied
    But this firmware it's not free, so is not included in any free GNU/Linux distribution, even Debian does not ship it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
    Does anyone get the point, that completly free amd-graphics-drivers do not exist?
    For propper work, they need firmware, which is not opensource, it's a binary blob in the kernel.
    Actually no, it's a binary file whose contents are loaded into the hardware by free driver code in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• glxextxexlg
    replied
    I'm off to play OpenArena and Doom3
    Good luck shooting with 30 FPS you won't have much. Also try doom3 with an r500 card and see the 2-3 fps. BTW don't forget to visit unigine tropics and heaven with your r600 with open source drivers. Oh fglrx runs them? OK then have fun with your tearing or tripple buffer low memory choices and webgl-video accel supportlessness...

Leave a comment:

• towo2099
    replied
    Does anyone get the point, that completly free amd-graphics-drivers do not exist?
    For propper work, they need firmware, which is not opensource, it's a binary blob in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    I'm off to play OpenArena and Doom3 on the drivers which do not exist, because AMD didn't deliver specs, or fund their development

I'll wrap my head around the fact that they don't exist after I'm finished shooting.

See you later!

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by amphigory View Post
    Only a picture of yourself in a leopard print thong, posing with a midget, a donkey, and some chick dressed as Little Bo Peep.
    *Pause*
    Oh geez, not that picture again

The midget and the donkey were added after the picture was taken. If you look closely the shadows are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    squeeze is coming:

(has AMD OSS drivers!)

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I'm not getting the "lies" part though. The OSNews link even has this on the same page :

It links back to Phoronix, of course, but still looking for what you consider to be a lie.

Leave a comment:

• amphigory
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?
    Only a picture of yourself in a leopard print thong, posing with a midget, a donkey, and some chick dressed as Little Bo Peep.
    *Pause*

OK. I'm going to do another git pull and rebuild Mesa now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X