AMD Catalyst 10.11 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Kano,

Best get an i7 QUAD core then, then it will most likely work... With dual cores you might get into trouble when you don't google before...
    Yes, I know dual-core processors don't have enough performance to decode some full HD videos, (I agree with you), but for me, they still work well enough for most things I do (I can still compile my custom kernels in about 10min with make -j2, for instance...)
    BUT, right now, I'm not willing to buy a new laptop, so, your advice doesn't apply for me at this moment... But, thanks anyway!

Cheers...

Comment

No, the problem is that the dual cores have got integrated gfx, when used with Optimus you will not like nv anymore as you can only use the intel gfx then.

Comment

Mr. Kano,

No, the problem is that the dual cores have got integrated gfx, when used with Optimus you will not like nv anymore as you can only use the intel gfx then.
        Yes, I know most "slow" processors (Atom, Corei3, and some Corei5's) have integrated GFX's, and I really don't like Intel GFX's...
        If I bought a new laptop today, I'd buy it with a Corei7, almost for sure! (I like to have fast and responsive CPU perfomance (I use MATLAB a lot and some engineering applications which need some CPU power)...).

Cheers, now I'm back to work... =S

Comment

Why is ths file still called "ati-driver-installer-10-11-x86.x86_64.run"? And then there is also this message saying "Uncompressing ATI Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-8.791". Shouldn't they change these to AMD?

Comment

I think the question was "do you want the names changed first or do you want these other features implemented first ?".
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think the question was "do you want the names changed first or do you want these other features implemented first ?".
              I don't really care. It was just out of curiosity considering the recent extermination of the ATI brand. Since someone already has to add +1 to the 10.xx part I figured it wouldn't be too hard to push the left arrow key a few times to the ATI part and change it to AMD. Or is this one of those aparently simple things that actually require lots of work to change?

Comment

AFAIK changing strings is very low impact other than maybe a couple of automated test cases, but changing file names ("ati" is embedded in some of the file names) requires more changes because of the automated build / test infrastructure. I imagine that all the changes will be made at once rather than changing strings now and changing filenames / infrastructure later.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Features are better than a name change. Though some documents are a little bit too old.

/usr/share/doc/fglrx/driverfaq.html for example says:

"Support for the newer version 2.6 kernel is under development and should be available in a future release."

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    I don't really care. It was just out of curiosity considering the recent extermination of the ATI brand. Since someone already has to add +1 to the 10.xx part I figured it wouldn't be too hard to push the left arrow key a few times to the ATI part and change it to AMD. Or is this one of those aparently simple things that actually require lots of work to change?
                    If this bothers you, ATI and AMD are conveniently the same length in any character set, so you can change this in the binaries themselves with no ill effect. I'm pretty sure sed is up to the task, just 's/AT[Ii]/AMD/g'.

Comment

The garbled text issue in Guild Wars through Wine is back in 10.11 for me, so 10.10 it is
                      Guess that gives me more time to investigate the random slowdown/throttling issues

Comment

Working...
                      X