Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSS ATI still causes my fans to spin fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, there's a big, fat "New Tab" button right there in the toolbar :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      System Monitor is easy to use :P Just create new tabs on your own. What you see by default are tabs that are already shipped by default. But you can create more.

Create a new one with 3 rows and 1 column (File->New Tab). Drop each sensor in each row. You can name the tabs whatever you like ("Drop sensors here" was just the default name, which can be changed; "Temps" for example.)

I thought KDE users know how to discover each application's options
      smart ass

I don't often use system monitor since it itself is using to much resources to be used accurately for monitoring the cpu load...

As for the big fat "new tab" bar, that's not here on by default, but that could be me.. and if it where i would turn it off anyway so i probably never notice it that way ^_- And i only dive in kde app details if i use the app often enough to be worth diving in

However, I now have a "sensor browser" but there is no "hardware sensor" section in there.. did you install some custom dataengine or something?

Thanx,
      Mark

Comment

I guess you don't have the relevant options enabled in your kernel. Not sure what they are though; it's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I guess you don't have the relevant options enabled in your kernel. Not sure what they are though; it's been a while.
          I'm using the default archlinux kernel (from testing to have 2.6.36)...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            "OSS ATI still causes my fans to spin fast! "

thats why i buy passiv cooled GPU cards...

amd really should sell passiv cooled notebooks like intel,

the passiv cooled notebooks are the OS-driver linux edition

really i never ever hat any fan-problem with the OS driver only because passiv cooled GPU card..
            There are very few passively cooled notebooks and probable none that has the other features i want as well. And it's not only cooling the GPU but also the CPU thus passively cooled is hard (close to impossible). And i don't have much of a choice to buy a passively cooled gpu card since those cards are not easy (or even not at all) replaceable in notebooks!

As a side note, i'm certainly not going to replace my vga card because Linux can't properly control it's fan.. then i rather put fglrx back.

Comment

Passively cooled cards still need fans. A passively cooled card is just one that doesn't need its own dedicated fan. Put one of those into a computer without adequate airflow and its going to overheat.

Especially if Linux isn't handling the power-saving correctly and making it run full-steam all the time.

I do find it rather hilarious that Linux will kick my card into high-power loud-as-hell mode under even the slightest GPU load, but I can play Fallout New Vegas on ultra-high settings at 1920x1080 and both the GPU and CPU stay so under-utilized that not a single fan kicks up to audible levels.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                I'm using the default archlinux kernel (from testing to have 2.6.36)...
                I always build the kernel myself. But as I said, it's been a while. Look in "make menuconfig" and see what you find. Use the "/" search shortcut as well.

Comment

Anybody found a cure for this yet? With 2.6.39 it still spins the fan max and pushes the card max as well...

Comment

Originally posted by georgelappies View Post
                    Anybody found a cure for this yet? With 2.6.39 it still spins the fan max and pushes the card max as well...
                    georgelappies, what power settings are you using ? If you don't choose a power setting the card will run at default which is still "full power" for many cards (although default on newest cards tends to be lower).

For more information on settings see the "KMS Power Management Options" section about half way down the page at :

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      georgelappies, what power settings are you using ? If you don't choose a power setting the card will run at default which is still "full power" for many cards (although default on newest cards tends to be lower).

For more information on settings see the "KMS Power Management Options" section about half way down the page at :

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
                      Thanks for the help, what does this mean:

Code:
                      Select the profile by echoing the selected profile to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Comment

Working...
                      X