No announcement yet.

R600c/g benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here there's the explanation. It's not the one I had in my head, I'm pretty sure I saw some plots of jump height/speed vs frame rate. Still, I love these articles.

Apparently the engine only caps to 320 u/s the speed in a given direction, so you can still accelerate in other directions and increase the total speed.

Agreed, q3 physics, because of this feature, are simply awesome. I don't get what's cool about modern FPS games or console ones. This thing gives the movement an organic aspect that it's impossible to achieve otherwise. Every jump can be different to the previous one, and the possibilities are endless. I'm not a defrag guy, but seeing what those players do is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
      It's not a cheat in the newer games have bunny hopping as a feature. You're saying it's a cheat because you've never experienced the game long enough to understand what that high fps allows. Are you saying that you'd prefer low fps? No fps? The more fps usually means more headroom for better graphics or smoother gameplay.
      I'm saying that games are for kiddies, and only for a short time as a reward for doing their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        ioquake has introduced accurate physics, and can simulate 125fps physics at any framerate, though, so this is not that much of an issue anymore.

The input handling, however, is. In ioquake, the input handling is (or at least was) done between the frames. This means that an unstable frame rate will give you unpredictable mouse tracking. Enough to miss shots and trickier jumps, whenever you get a drop in fps.
        I would think that this would be corrected with.... multithreading.

Comment

By the way, and since we're in a q3 mood, this paper shows what every respectable player knows despite the subversive information spread by the anti-pro police : D

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I'm saying that games are for kiddies, and only for a short time as a reward for doing their homework.
            LOL, you're in a trolling mood today.

Had a terrible day?

Comment

A simple experiment, push the button start and stop of a chronometer as fast as you can. You can achieve 10-20 ms times. which correspond to 1/100 1/50 seconds. Your eye/brain can obtain visual data even more quicker than that.

24 fps is only 1/24 seconds between frames, and 60 fps 1/60 is slow too. Of course professional gamers should go for 100 - 200 fps. To minimize get killed due to displayed frames delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                A simple experiment, push the button start and stop of a chronometer as fast as you can. You can achieve 10-20 ms times. which correspond to 1/100 1/50 seconds. Your eye/brain can obtain visual data even more quicker than that.

24 fps is only 1/24 seconds between frames, and 60 fps 1/60 is slow too. Of course professional gamers should go for 100 - 200 fps. To minimize get killed due to displayed frames delay.
                Your monitor can only display frames as fast as the refresh rate, so you aren't actually seeing any of the frames beyond the refresh rate. The extra frames are never actually displayed.

Comment

obvious. There are monitors of 120Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                    despite the subversive information spread by the anti-pro police : D
                    OMG

[fucking character limit]
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      obvious. There are monitors of 120Hz.
                      Thanks to the useless 3D there are 300 Hz monitors too
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)