Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpleasant install experience. HD5850 Ubuntu 10.4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jecos View Post
    POS ubuntu. those pricks fuckin up stuff. Fglrx works in PClinuxOS...
    And really, I have done pretty much all configuration options to get this damn thing to work. blacklisting open source drivers, turning off KMS.. don't know whats left except wait for ubuntu devs to fix what they messed up, if they even know what's messed up.

well at this point. I've tried it once again in ubuntu. maybe it wasnt before, but it's not even loading X enough to create a log file.

dmesg shows fglrx is loaded.

It will still freeze right at loading cups and other daemons right before it fails at trying to load X.
    You realize ATI lists Ubuntu as a distro OFFICIALLY supported, right?

Btw, when you say 'Ubuntu', what are you talking about? Which version? I think it might help especially the people trying to help here when you say it doesn't work in 'Distro X', that you be more specific. Right, guys?

Exact card model (#), fglrx driver ver. # or FOSS driver ver.#, distro and distro version number, Xorg version, xorg-server version etc. etc. I bet any or all of these may be a factor but I'm speculating again... I guess I'm not supposed to do that but I thought it was safe to do so this time.

Comment

POS ubuntu. those pricks fuckin up stuff. Fglrx works in PClinuxOS.
      There is a strange think I saw in your first post, you mention you used jockey to install fglrx. I don't know about jockey.

I think your best bet is to try a fresh install (another time), and simply run:

aptitude install fglrx
      aticonfig --initial
      *reboot*

Don't edit any configuration file. If that doesn't work you should fill a bug at ubuntu page.

Good luck

Comment

So you have a newer Radeon 5000 Series card and you are on an nForce chipset. Have you looked if your symptoms match those described here:
        http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794 ?
        what is your output of lspci?
        Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          You realize ATI lists Ubuntu as a distro OFFICIALLY supported, right?
          So ATI's to blame when jockey screws up now?

@Jecos
          Is that the method you used?

I realize they don't go (yet?) through the process of installing the binary from ATI's website, so I guess in that case the Jaunty guide should still apply :

Of course if you want to build the deb packages, use the appropriate --buildpkg option as per step 2 for "Installing the drivers manually".
          Using --listpkg to find out could be handy

Another alternative I knew of was Envy-ng but it seems it was dropped for Lucid...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Sifff View Post
            So you have a newer Radeon 5000 Series card and you are on an nForce chipset. Have you looked if your symptoms match those described here:
            http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794 ?
            what is your output of lspci?
            Good Luck!
            Looks like the problem.

sigh. just tried 10.7 still same problem..

thanks guys! I'd be nowhere without these forums. Ubuntuforums.org is a mess to search through.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              i have an 'nForce Professional 3600 MCP' based mainboard and i get nerly all catalyst to run on my systems in the last years...

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794

there are users reporting this bug for hd4000 series card...
              but i have a hd4000 series card...

i just install the driver multiple times most of the time the first install fails most of the time i install i reboot and i install it again then the driver beginns to start after reboot again
              Yeah. My chipset is an Nvidia nforce590 SLI AMD (MCP55).
              *insert rant about leaving nvidia for ati facepalm*

System actually freezes when I hit reboot after installation of ubuntu 10.4 64bit is done. I have to hard reset. (happens everytime i've installed ubuntu 10.4 64bit with this nforce590/hd5850 combo)

If I don't load fglrx the system is fine..If i livecd boot pclinuxos it runs fglrx fine..

Comment

in my usage most of the time build packages and install this .deb files do not work.
                only the direct installer and for me its normal that the first start after the install fails.
                i always install the fglrx multiple times and mostly it works after 2-3 times.
                i can install it and i can send you log files to check this
                i also can to benchmarks with screenshots...

yes i only have a hd4000 card to test.

but i think i buy a hd5000 card in september
                I have an HD5770 card in my pc, and it works just fine on the 10.7 drivers.

check list don't use the ubuntu 10.04 catalyst files and don't build packages .deb's

use the catalyst 10.7 and install the driver multiple times + aticonfig --inital then i think the driver start to work.
                I do agree... don't use the packages that are in the ubuntu repository. However, i do still recommend creating the deb packages locally with the ati installer, and contacting the package maintainers if the package has some faults which are known... I currently know that the packages don't properly configure the OpenCL and CAL libraries amd includes in the 64-bit builds, and i've already contacted the maintainer about that.

anyways, as for other notes... I probably am very lucky... i just flat upgrade and install the debs and i rarely need to run the aticonfig --initial command.

Comment

FML. wasted an hour installing archlinux. ..only to find catalyst 10.7 is still A PIECE of GARBAGE!! why do your drivers consistently fail to work with nforce 590 chipsets!!! ugh!

seriously annoying.. Not even gonna try to mess with it again unless it's been stated as fixed.

Comment

FML. wasted an hour installing archlinux. ..only to find catalyst 10.7 is still A PIECE of GARBAGE!! why do your drivers consistently fail to work with nforce 590 chipsets!!! ugh!

seriously annoying.. Not even gonna try to mess with it again unless it's been stated as fixed.
                    I can understand.... and there is an active bug report... see the following unofficial bug report... and respond...

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                      I can understand.... and there is an active bug report... see the following unofficial bug report... and respond...
                      http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1810
                      Thanks! I'll follow up on that bugzilla when i have time.

Comment

Working...
                      X