Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpleasant install experience. HD5850 Ubuntu 10.4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    ""just work"" if you try to install the newest .24 nvidia driver into an ubuntu 10.04 you fail to..

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23419

thats the nvidia way of "Just work" NOT! LOL
    No Qaridarium, if you follow the correct steps you can not only install the nVidia driver, but once installed it'll actually work.

Say what you like about open vs closed source drivers but you can't slam nVidia's driver by comparing it to fglrx. If you could I'd already have an ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      he pointet out nvidia works best without any forums like phoronix without you!

without forum support nvidia fail to!

i test it out! be sure!
      You said that you had trouble installing the nVidia driver the manual way. You were trying to install the latest nVidia driver from the nVidia website. You didn't seem to be able to. This is because you weren't doing it the right way. When I showed you how to do it you then had to go looking for some other excuse for why nVidia sux.

If when someone tries to get fglrx going, and it's due to something they're not doing right, people point out that the problem's not with the driver but with the installation method. When someone's following the correct installation procedure for fglrx and it still doesn't work then what's someone to do?

Originally posted by Jecos View Post
      When you switch to nvidia you don't need to sit in graphics card forums talking about bugs and other problems because the card/drivers "just work".
      He said that he tried to use the Ubuntu inbuilt driver installer for fglrx and it didn't work. So then he had to muck around with the manual way. Now that he had fglrx manually installed, it still wouldn't work. It seemed to be installed correctly and in addition he also followed advise from another with now luck. The xorg.0.log suggested it may be a driver bug but we'll have to wait for the next instalment from this very entertaining saga. I wait with baited breath as a very interested observer because I want to buy an ATI card so have a bit of a vested interest here.

Comment

On-topic.

Try install one of the other supported distros.
        You could also try setting these into your kernel boot option in grub: rhgb quiet nomodeset nopat

Comment

Another suggestion, if you have a CD to spare: http://pclinuxos.com/?p=605
          It ships with fglrx so even a live session should let you check if you get the drivers up and running on your card.

Comment

wow!! nice one PsynoKhi0!!

I will try it, only to see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Another suggestion, if you have a CD to spare: http://pclinuxos.com/?p=605
              It ships with fglrx so even a live session should let you check if you get the drivers up and running on your card.
              Thank you I will try that livecd. I'm pretty sure I tried the other dvi port and even tested with a different monitor.

Argument being, if I can run Windows with everything the way it is. config wise, Linux shouldn't be messing up or else it's a distribution/driver prob.

Thanks for the interest in this thread!

I hope either I find out whats wrong or 10.5 fixes it.

Comment

That won't solve anything. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Especially testing on a LiveCD.

Ubuntu has a slightly later ver. of the ATI driver and a later version of Xorg-server.

Maybe ATI should have better documentation with 'what works' or somewhat works or recommend that you do A or B or C etc.

Or someone who's experienced in this stuff could write one?

At least Kano helps a lot with scripts.

I know a lot of 'ATI fans' say 'it works' but I was concerned with a 'new' process I'd have to get used to. I'm familiar with what to do to get Nvidia cards/drivers to work. ATI looks like a different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

Especially testing on a LiveCD.
                  It's still a pretty good way to rule out possible culprits, right?
                  BTW, the ISO I've linked to is a bugfix release in which they updated fglrx to 10.4, other versions still have 10.3

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    sorry, it can help a lot, if the livecd works, you can know you have some configuration problems, or that your current distribution has some configuration problem with your card. Then, you can workaround this problem by "temporary" changing your distribution or trying to fix configuration problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      sorry, it can help a lot, if the livecd works, you can know you have some configuration problems, or that your current distribution has some configuration problem with your card. Then, you can workaround this problem by "temporary" changing your distribution or trying to fix configuration problems.
                      POS ubuntu. those pricks fuckin up stuff. Fglrx works in PClinuxOS...
                      And really, I have done pretty much all configuration options to get this damn thing to work. blacklisting open source drivers, turning off KMS.. don't know whats left except wait for ubuntu devs to fix what they messed up, if they even know what's messed up.

well at this point. I've tried it once again in ubuntu. maybe it wasnt before, but it's not even loading X enough to create a log file.

dmesg shows fglrx is loaded.

It will still freeze right at loading cups and other daemons right before it fails at trying to load X.

Comment

Working...
                      X