Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI causes Suspend Fail, 2.6.34-rc2, total scandal, howto disable HDMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI causes Suspend Fail, 2.6.34-rc2, total scandal, howto disable HDMI?

I tried to suspend my box, like I usually do when I'm not going to (ab)use it for a while, and guess what? The kernel CRASHED and spewed out all kinds of incriminating evidence regarding Radeon HDMI audio. It said something about radeon and HDMI and "Stack Trace" and there were many confusing numbers on the screen.

It appears that the HDMI audio code in the 2.6.34-rc2 kernel is bad for you and your family if you like to suspend your computer.

Is there any way to enable KMS and at the same time disable the HDMI audio using module/kernel option? I have the soundcard, so the HDMI jack is desired or required. Suspend, on the other hand, is.

thanks.

It is nice that you are ready to test a pre-release kernel and are willing to report errors.
    If you see a kernel oops or panic, it is best to file a bug on kernel bugzilla, including the stack trace (in case of panic, obtain it via serial/network console or a photo of the screen).

Please note that -rc kernels are not intended for production use, so expect crashes, dataloss and broken functionality in general.

Comment

remember rc kernel up to 3 or 4 are usually close to the merge window, so those are mostly to get the stuff in there and get some testing. in rc beyond 5 you can usually expect minor bugs but everything must be workable despite the little bugs you could find here and there. so for now +1 for testing and my advise is you should have a 2.6.33 installed too so you can use that one as production while you test the rc kernel in your free time.

and in like previous post plz report it to kernel bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        It is nice that you are ready to test a pre-release kernel and are willing to report errors.
        If you see a kernel oops or panic, it is best to file a bug on kernel bugzilla, including the stack trace (in case of panic, obtain it via serial/network console or a photo of the screen).
        I'll see if I can get access to a camera and acquire the photo of the screen.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Please note that -rc kernels are not intended for production use, so expect crashes, dataloss and broken functionality in general.
        I know, my "production" servers are all running 2.6.18.

So no way to disable the HDMI until or unless they fix it (and/or I get the screenshot?)?

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          I tried to suspend my box, like I usually do when I'm not going to (ab)use it for a while, and guess what? The kernel CRASHED and spewed out all kinds of incriminating evidence regarding Radeon HDMI audio. It said something about radeon and HDMI and "Stack Trace" and there were many confusing numbers on the screen.

It appears that the HDMI audio code in the 2.6.34-rc2 kernel is bad for you and your family if you like to suspend your computer.

Is there any way to enable KMS and at the same time disable the HDMI audio using module/kernel option? I have the soundcard, so the HDMI jack is desired or required. Suspend, on the other hand, is.

thanks.
          The HDMI audio support is enabled when the display device is detected as being HDMI audio capable -- and this is through a combination of INTERFACE (DVI or HDMI) and EDID.

So the two *simplest* ways to disable HDMI audio are to switch to an analog VGA cable or switch your display to one that doesn't support HDMI audio.

The final way to do this is, of course, to edit the kernel source and replace the result of the HDMI audio support test with 'false' and recompiling.

Comment

Working...
          X