Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNCFarraday, my inner geek applauds your posts. You are playing with some cool toys there!

In other news, way to go AMD! It's obvious that this move was engineered to steal the thunder from Fermi's launch (not that there was any thunder left to steal), but it really shows how far OpenGL has come. The first beta GL3 drivers from AMD took ~4 months to release; GL4 took 15 days!

Exciting times ahead. Now if only Apple and Intel would get off their asses and give us proper GL3...

Comment

Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
      There's the problem of how user-space applications use OpenGL, especially through the OSX's "compositor". The OpenGL driver itself is ok.
      Apple's GLSL compiler used to be pretty flaky. I haven't tried 10.6, but it seems things are better now.

They main issue we've had is the (missing) documentation on the interaction between OpenGL (esp. fullscreen) applications and the OSX compositor. With some tweaking we found a solution that works but a quick search shows this to be a pretty common complaint. Certainly took us much more time than the equivalent GLX, WGL and EGL implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
        it has yet to be determined if ATI's 57xx and lower series cards can actually be considered OpenGL 4.0 compliant, because the spec requires 64bit floats which is something only the dual-precision 58xx and higher cards are capable of.
        see here:
        Select a news topic from the list below, then select a news article to read.

Comment

koenvdd,...i'm not bitching about xserver 1.7 support,I just asked since I use lucid 10.04 and don't want to downgrade or install another distro just to have opengl 4.0,which is not very important for me,...I just don't give a shit because no one uses it(games),..but when you get speed boost with that driver than I am interested.Secondly I don't have a time and nerves to deal with my broken OS if driver craps my system,because I work on that system,...and YES I understand what you are saying when someone asks for x support,I hate when others do that to,..
          And BTW I newer ever asked or troled for newer x support in this forum ever

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
            Patches, please
            How many lines of code was included in that paragraph? 1 000 000?
            We can't patch anything because it only runs on custom built hardware and we'd have to patch the kernel too, from top to bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
              koenvdd,...i'm not bitching about xserver 1.7 support,I just asked since I use lucid 10.04 and don't want to downgrade or install another distro just to have opengl 4.0,which is not very important for me,...I just don't give a shit because no one uses it(games),..but when you get speed boost with that driver than I am interested.Secondly I don't have a time and nerves to deal with my broken OS if driver craps my system,because I work on that system,...and YES I understand what you are saying when someone asks for x support,I hate when others do that to,..
              And BTW I newer ever asked or troled for newer x support in this forum ever
              I know, just had to blow of some steam (if only Valve would let me without rebooting ), nothing personal. You have been granted my forgiveness. Might I humbly pursue yours?

PS: Also sorry about the repost on the previous page. I gotta get used to the posting system here.

Comment

Mah,no biggie,...I totally understand you.Sorry about all that.
                OSS drivers FTW

Comment

Do these drivers finally include OpenCL? Or does GL4 only require better interoperability if it's also present?

Comment

OpenCL is a separate package, since it needs to work on our CPUs even if there is no AMD graphics solution installed.

If we only made GPUs then we could put OpenCL in the graphics driver and be done with it
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      OpenCL is a separate package, since it needs to work on our CPUs even if there is no AMD graphics solution installed.

If we only made GPUs then we could put OpenCL in the graphics driver and be done with it
                      How about GL interop and local cache in OpenCL? As far as I know, these are kinda problematic on ATI hardware now (at least it's what GPU Caps Viewer tells me ).

Comment

Working...
                      X