AMD Catalyst 10.3 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
    It is still there, it is still disabled by default and you can still enable it with the same instruction that were used for the 10.2 drivers.
    Yes, it works. There are some artifacts (the chrome menu is strayed, for example), and the performance seems to be about the same.

No real interest in using this mode then, but it's probably a good start towards convergence which should in the end improve performance.

So far I can clearly see a performance gap between Windows and Linux drivers for playing HD video, for example.

Comment

I posted in the other thread that it seems that the slackware package build part of the scripts is broken, as it spit out an error message when it hit slackware with --listpkg.

Ubuntu karmic .deb packages built and installed fine though. Compiz appears to be working again although I admit to having not re-booted since turning it back on again.

On a side note the genericized mobility radeon drivers installed fine although CCC still insists that I'm using 9.12(what I had previously installed) even though the driver package, driver numbers, and dates correspond to 10.3. I've read on the AMD forums that others have had similar problems though, as though CCC doesn't auto-detect catalyst version but relies on some registry entry to be updated with every new version... Also still didn't fix what is apparently a problem with "flame" type light source/maybe shadows, probably some corner case that was broken or poorly chosen as to how it was handled. I postulated that this may be related to the problem that the one guy was having with wine, but I plan to try the game(s) out under linux + wine to see if happens there(shared code, so it may) and if I can get more info if it happens under wine + linux but I need to free up a little more drive space temporarily before I can do so.

Comment

I recently bought a new monitor, I didn't realize it at the time, but his 23" acer monitor only lets you go up to 60hz refresh rate....let me tell you, that at the refresh rate, this driver is still utter garbage...screen tearing is evident on everything I do...I am extremely disappointed yet again, and have made a final decision to buy a competitors card, and then I will stomp on my 5770 until satisfied it won't cause anyone else the headaches it as caused me

Comment

oh, and I have also noticed considerable regression on movie playback on this recent release

Comment

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
            oh, and I have also noticed considerable regression on movie playback on this recent release
            This is not boding well for my desire to buy an ATI 5850 in the next month

Comment

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that it's a refresh rate problem? I'm at 60Hz and have no tearing. Asus vw222.

Comment

Well I was using an old school dell square lcd that I was able to fix the tearing problems by changing the refresh from 60 to 75hz....your making me wish I went with asus....storma, what card are you using?

Comment

A 4870. Nothing fancy set in the control panel or xorg.conf.

Comment

Well, maybe its just the 5xxx series, which may give me hope for them fixing it in an upcoming release...although I highly doubt it, it really gets the blood boiling

Comment

Also, with the newest driver is anyone else having major issues with fullscreen flash videos? If I try to go fullscreen with any youtube video it stutters and then locks up

Comment

Working...
                      X