ATI Radeon KMS vs. UMS With Ubuntu 10.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suokko View Post
    Civ4 has fixed function fall back (dx8 mode) too. That can run with GL 1.3 even.
    ok. I just don't know how to make civ4 be in directx8 mode.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      The radeon driver side for the pageflipping stuff has not been done yet.
      Is there any progress in pageflipping in KMS for radeons? Any kernel parameter to disable vsync or sth? I would better have some FPS in games between 30 and 60 when my hardware/software could not handle full 60 FPS rather than immediately dropping to 30 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
        Is there any progress in pageflipping in KMS for radeons? Any kernel parameter to disable vsync or sth? I would better have some FPS in games between 30 and 60 when my hardware/software could not handle full 60 FPS rather than immediately dropping to 30 instead.
        Maybe I should ask:
        Is there any progress in making a switch/paramter for disabling vsync in KMS for r300g?

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
          vblank_mode environment variable seems to control it for r600g, dunno about r300g. 0 for no vsync, I don't know what the other numbers mean. You might have occasional tearing without it though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            vblank_mode environment variable seems to control it for r600g, dunno about r300g. 0 for no vsync, I don't know what the other numbers mean. You might have occasional tearing without it though.
            Thanks, I've just found it, too and it work for windowed glxgears but unfortunately doesn't work for fullscreen Nexuiz and probably other games, too.

Comment

Yeah, the vblank_mode environment variable doesn't seem to work very well with games. So you're either capped at 60 or 30 fps most of the times. As pointed out before you'll have to modify the ddx to get uncapped fps, but if you do that then you lose your tear-free Xv.

Comment

This works for sure. But after trying it I finally was convinced that the medicine is worse than the illness X D

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=122

Comment

I wonder why it'd use vsync always anyway even if disabled from the application. (afaik Nexuiz has a switch for vsync and if the driver doesn't respect that, I'd consider it broken)

Comment

vsync != anti-tearing

As I've said before, the GLX vsync extensions provide tokens for applications to synchronize with. The ddx also does vline waits for updates to the front buffer to avoid tearing. They are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      vsync != anti-tearing

As I've said before, the GLX vsync extensions provide tokens for applications to synchronize with. The ddx also does vline waits for updates to the front buffer to avoid tearing. They are not the same.
                      So which of these is cutting FPS in fullscreen games to refresh rate or half of the refresh rate? And how to get rid of it?

Comment

Working...
                      X