No announcement yet.

why does fglrx suck so hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should mention that the latest dynamic PM code has not been merged yet - it's still being tested and tweaked. It currently exists as a set of patches which need to be applied on top of drm-radeon-testing :

Test signature

Comment

oh oh oh, I have kept my trap shut up until now --- firstly I am one of those horrible Ubuntu users, so please shoot me for that, secondly I am not 100% loyal to either graphics card camp, please shoot again, thirdly despite running linux on and off for years I still cannot write kernel code or even simpler things, more shooting please

now that hopefully all flaming on me has been done

i) why bash fglrx? its not perfect far from, it segfaults on my mobility 5650 - nobody is forcing you to buy ati/amd, you can and should complain but all this flaming nonesense is getting my nerves and makes the whole linux thing look really bad
      ii) if you want to go open source it looks like ati/amd is the better choice but not perfect, vice versa not all of us are fixated on oss I would prefer to run oss, but if its not there yet I will try and test but end up using binary blob
      the latter is a huge problem for the community as a whole, I see endless righteous behaviour about binary blobbers about graphical environs, about Ubuntu being for lazy newbs etc -- if you ever ever want to attract "normal" people to linux, it needs to work out of the box, it needs to be simple and will need to get simpler ever faster -- the willingness to do more than insert a cd to install an os is dying fast so it would be better to cater to the masses rather than to discourage them by bashing left, right and center

so fine lets all hold hands sing some hippy peace songs and be happy

btw when is this fglrx driver going to work with my hd 5650 mobility in ubuntu 10.4 ?? I am waiting you now!!

Comment

Cuppa-Chino, I think the driver supports the 5650 mobility now, so presumably there is either something system-specific happening on your system or you're tripping over an integration/packaging issue with Ubuntu.

Have you done the usual debug things, eg deleting /etc/amdpcsdb (or wherever it is these days) and running sudo aticonfig --initial (maybe with -f option if your xorg.conf is non-standard) ? If not then do that first. Don't do it while X is running, of course...

If that doesn't help, maybe file a bug ticket with Ubuntu first, including xorg log and dmesg output.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
          oh oh oh, I have kept my trap shut up until now --- firstly I am one of those horrible Ubuntu users,

(...)

not all of us are fixated on oss I would prefer to run oss, but if its not there yet I will try and test but end up using binary blob
          the latter is a huge problem for the community as a whole, I see endless righteous behaviour about binary blobbers about graphical environs, about Ubuntu being for lazy newbs etc
          Ah Ubuntu users. I love them! Especially those with old radeon cards such as x1300 or 9800 pro. Every day you can find a couple of these users over at Ubuntu Forums with questions about fglrx. Totally flabbergasted that their museum piece doesn't work anymore with fglrx and newer versions of Ubuntu. Always good for a chuckle

Of course this is the faith that every owner of an ATI card is awaiting, so you better hope that they get their act together with the oss drivers.

From another Ubuntu user .

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Cuppa-Chino, I think the driver supports the 5650 mobility now, so presumably there is either something system-specific happening on your system or you're tripping over an integration/packaging issue with Ubuntu.

Have you done the usual debug things, eg deleting /etc/amdpcsdb (or wherever it is these days) and running sudo aticonfig --initial (maybe with -f option if your xorg.conf is non-standard) ? If not then do that first. Don't do it while X is running, of course...

If that doesn't help, maybe file a bug ticket with Ubuntu first, including xorg log and dmesg output.
            thanks bridgman bug posted here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/544638

Comment

and yes I ran aticonfig --initial, I tried all packages from ubuntu-2 to the current one, always get the segfault, am hoping its not to do with anything specific to the sony laptop I am using... not that they have botched the card on top of totally underclocking it....

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I think the dynamic pm is for all the cards from r1xx through r7xx. Might include Evergreen as well, not sure.
                I don't see how recommending that you base a purchasing decision on what you see today is any different between us and our competitors. None of us are making promises for the future.
                Are you saying there's full support for HD 5xxx cards now? I suggest there's a difference between current support for the Windows side and current Linux support for the most recent Nvidia cards. If the progress is extensive enough (speed is relative and if full support arrives in two months, that's different than say, a year), then I'm quite interested.

Honestly, it sounds to me as if you don't have enough compelling reasons to buy a new card from anyone right now, so the risks and drawbacks for any decision seem daunting. What card do you have now and what are you looking for in an upgrade ?
                I have a Nvidia Geforce EVGA 7950 GT. It's quite old as you can see but it does the job so far. I'm interested in a card with good price/performance but relatively power efficient so the HD 5770 interests me. But, as far as I know, whatever my Nvidia card is capable of, it can do it in Linux (unless I'm mistaken). How long that lasts though (in terms of driver support), I don't know.

Comment

Support for HD 5xxx cards is still way behind already. See:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

See what I mean? The cards have been out how long now and in some instances aren't even usable. That is the concern.

Comment

fglrx does not sucks at all

I find that ati fglrx driver is very good and useful for opengl rendering only and it works with opengl programs very define well and i'm very happy with that. can i do for you with your issue problems?

Comment

I have done some digging and it might not be the fault of the driver in as much as of the display- I was not able to read the EDID with DDC in windows either. I have tried disabling DDC in xorg.conf but not been successful, is there a way to FORCE it off and just allow manual screen configuration?

Comment

Working...
                      X