No announcement yet.

Catalyst 10.2 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"just goes to show how dedicated AMD is to bringing added value – and a great experience for all users."

I'm laughing my ass off.

Comment

Originally posted by mega_mike View Post
      I have an integrated HD 4200 and I had to go back to version 10.1 from 10.2. Having Compiz break consistently was a deal breaker, sorry ATI. If there are Linux testers you guys absolutely must test with the latest Ubuntu x86/64 release.

At this point I believe ATI doesn't have testers for Linux. I work for a small software company as a team lead/developer and we do not have a q/a team....but we make it up for it by being very responsive to any software issue (i.e. we acknowledge it and fix it asap).
      It is not a matter of the testers not doing their jobs...

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
        It is not a matter of the testers not doing their jobs...

Yeah, the reported problems still need to go through the fixing process. Such things are never easy on a piece of software of this kind. When you introduce new features/functionality into software things are bound to break.

Comment

what kernels are supported?

I'm reading here that X.org 1.7.4 are not supported (thus no luck with Ubuntu 10.04), but I'm also reading that some recent kernels are not supported either. what is the most recent kernel supported?

I'm asking here, as the release notes and installation instructions URLs are broken on the ATI driver download page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

seriously, ATI should get their act together - either they should create & maintain a good and up-to-date closed source driver, or open it up to let the community take over what they cannot accomplish

Comment

Lame excuses.

As a developer myself, the way to do it is to test it until it works reasonably well at least in the most important use cases.

Releasing a driver that does not work with compiz is ridiculous - and also something that simply does not happen with nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
              Lame excuses.

As a developer myself, the way to do it is to test it until it works reasonably well at least in the most important use cases.

Releasing a driver that does not work with compiz is ridiculous - and also something that simply does not happen with nvidia.
              If you're a developer, you should probably also realise that with a deadline of every month, things are bound to break when major changes are being made.
              Similar things do happen with nvidia - just that people don't talk about them on these forums (nvnews is for nvidia bashing, phoronix for ati bashing).

Comment

at the end I managed to install the driver on my laptop with an HD 5830 card. the catalyst control center clearly recongizes the card, and fgl_glxgears seems to run with acceleration...

but: I still get the 'unsupported hardware' watermark on the lower-right screen... why?

Comment

The "unsupported hardware" watermark indicates that the release you are running does not have complete & tested code for that hardware. When new GPUs are introduced we usually have code written and developer tested a few months before release but that support has not looped through the QA test/fix cycles yet.
                  Test signature

Comment

compiz seems to be working fine for me with the new 2D accel off:
                    Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64
                    Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
                    Catalyst 10.2

Re-sized windows(a nautilus window), ran glxgears and fgl_glxgears, and google earth....

Build is fixed for Ubuntu(and presumably Debian) now.

Still haven't tried a video(unsurprisingly) but I gather that tearing is still present...

Comment

There are instructions buried in this forum somewhere about how to build a driver that should not show that unsupported hardware annoyance. I kind of liked it myself as it gave some feedback as to when X & fglrx started up... but it was otherwise, annoying and unhelpful.

Congratulations ATI. You finally figured out that you can support mobile chipsets, then you went and blew a gaping hole in your head by allowing your tardy OEMs to skip out on the support. Thanks Sony, et. al. and ATI.

Double post, since phoronix appears to be editing brain dead now.

Comment

Working...
                      X