X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbarnes
    replied
    Lack of context

I take strong exception to the lack of context around Eric's quote. We do care about our users; the main thrust of the quote is around hardware support for old distributions. This is a tough problem for any OS or driver vendor. Microsoft and Apple don't generally provide support for very new hardware in very old releases, and for good reason: it's very expensive. In the Linux world I think we do a better job, but we still have to draw the line somewhere. The support and maintenance for new hardware burden increases exponentially with the age of the distro targeted, so we typically only provide new hardware support in the last released version of any given distro (though we work with distros to backport to older releases as well).

From what I understand, Luc's presentation was offensive (repeatedly yelling at Eric and making obscene gestures). And judging by the slides didn't look particularly useful (more a solution in search of a problem), so maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously. But still, I thought I should clarify things so Eric's statement wasn't misinterpreted.

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    HDMI audio output supposedly works with xf86-video-radeonhd. It is declared by the devs to not yet work with KMS. I don't want to have to run X just to have my PulseAudio server.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    But MANY ppl on irc report that HDMI Audio is not working.

Then one think is ugly that the Output order is different.

FGLRX: DVI-0 DVI-1
    radeon UMS: DVI-0 DVI-1
    Windows: DVI-0 DVI-1
    radeon kms DVI-1 DVI-0

so and if you now has an Dual Boot with Windows and other Systems ( Linux with UMS or *BSD ) You has an bigger configuration effort.

Or this bug

Or an other ( no report Open yet ) that if i use radeon.tv=0 the System freeze ( No ssh possible )

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    HDMI audio on R700/800 would be nice.
    I don't have any HDMI tv to test it, but on my wife's laptop, that has a Radeon Mobility 4570, the HDMI output is indeed recognised and appears even in the Pulseaudio's outputs. This with Fedora 12 x86_64...

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    HDMI audio on R700/800 would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• iznogood
    replied
    When can we expect most of these changes to be complete ? What else is left for ATI in order to get full support as is on Windows (like Intel has now) ?

Leave a comment:

• iznogood
    replied
    Any chance to see some dates on that report ?

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    looks like ati linux situation is getting more and more interesting year by year, and it doesn't seem to change.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Sounds good

Leave a comment:

• chrisr
    replied
    So is the DRM "done" for OpenGL on R600,R700 now?

Does this mean that more complete OpenGL support is just down to Mesa these days, and that the remaining DRM work is bug-fixing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X