X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by HokTar View Post
      I thought xorg.conf has been deprecated, so why should we use it? I don't have one. Furthermore, what was the problem with libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium?
      I didn't think xorg.conf had been deprecated, just that a lot of work had gone into making sure the defaults were sufficiently good that you could run without one most of the time.
      Test signature

Comment

• Thank you marek, I was indeed mistaken a bit.

@ zand:
        +1

But I'm a bit confused by this, since I found a libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium package in the latest mesa build. It contradicts the changelog in my opinion.

On the other hand I have this -gallium package and an rv730. I understand that r600g is no way near being useful for me, but I should get softpipe or even better llvmpipe instead. However, glxinfo still reports r600 classic. It would be nice if somebody would clarify this either here or in the xorg-edgers description.

@ bridgeman:
        Well, I guess you are right. Still, I think the original idea was better in this case.

Comment

• What was the original idea ?
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            What was the original idea ?
            Sorry, I was just referring to the -gallium package. It is a better idea in my opinion than the xorg.conf option.

Comment

• The xorg.conf option is an ubuntu specific option. It's not upstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                The xorg.conf option is an ubuntu specific option. It's not upstream.
                The changelog it was referred to is for the packaging in the xorg-edgers main PPA. It is only for the users of this PPA. The idea is to make it easy for users to try out latest X bits, using either classic or gallium. The optional -gallium package (overriding classic) is one way to do it, the xorg.conf option is part of another strategy. Although some people are happy to copy files around and/or symlink (also compile drivers themselves) this does not go well with double-click package management.

Some way to install and try out gallium might end up in Debian (experimental) and official Ubuntu (maverick) as well at some later point.

Comment

• Just to report: with the yesterday's update through xorg-edgers ppa my old x1250 came back to pre 9.10 state when using proprietary driver. I wouldn't have thought that was possible since ati put it into legacy and it became no longer supported with new kernel. It just made my eyes water. Thanks for everyone who made it possible! Keep on going!

Comment

• Originally posted by zand View Post
                    Just to report: with the yesterday's update through xorg-edgers ppa my old x1250 came back to pre 9.10 state when using proprietary driver. I wouldn't have thought that was possible since ati put it into legacy and it became no longer supported with new kernel. It just made my eyes water. Thanks for everyone who made it possible! Keep on going!
                    Do you mean 3D performance or 3D features?

Comment

• I mean the former, performance. I can't say much on the features though.

Comment

Working...
                      X