X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.1 out today:

Here's hoping for 7.5 support.

Comment

I hope the Windows version won't suck like 9.12 did.

Comment

Yes they did it again!

I am speaking of releasing without xorg 7.5 support :<

Comment

Tbh i'd just be happy to know *when* to expect xorg 7.5 support. It seems extremely difficult to get any timescale - even a rough one. Literally all we're asking for here. An expected (even if very rough) timescale regarding 7.6 support would also be of interest for those using fedora.

Comment

The latest date would be driven by one of our suppoted distros releasing a final version using xorg 7.5, backing up enough to allow for integration testing then rounding forward to the next monthly Catalyst release. I assume the driving release in this case would be Ubuntu 10.04.

We are trying to provide support for new versions earlier as time permits, but given that we are in the middle of launching a wave of new GPUs I wouldn't expect support to be a lot earlier this time around.
            Test signature

Comment

Hello,

I would like to react on this:

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              We are trying to provide support for new versions earlier as time permits, but given that we are in the middle of launching a wave of new GPUs I wouldn't expect support to be a lot earlier this time around.
              Isn't the linux support team apart from the one designing new GPUs?

From what I know, given that most distributions are moving to Xorg 7.5/1.7.x and that downgrading is a mess (impossible?) most users will end up being totally unable to use ATI proprietary drivers because of their daily/weekly upgrade.

I don't mean to be rude but in this situation I don't think focusing efforts on supporting new GPUs for a few privileged recent clients and dropping support for all other users is the right strategy. The negative image ATI had in the past among the linux community was I think getting away with its recent *regular* driver updates (Catalyst 9.x, support for OpenGL 3.x, ...). However to my mind retarding the resolution of such a critical issue (Xorg 7.5/1.7.x support) will surely bring this bad image back. Don't get me wrong I'm not pro-Nvidia -- all my past GPUs are ATI's -- but I feel that dealing with this issue would be *really* appreciated by the community... a lot more than support for new GPUs.

Sincerely,

Comment

Just in my case I'm forced to move to nVidia, because my work requires 3D and Linux (3D Simulation tools). All my stuff is and was AMD or Gigabyte for many years because their great performance (for me imo), but since some months ago, I waste more time doing work my ATI than working with it.

At this time, in my opinion based in my experience, if you need Linux and 3D, it is a high risk to work with ATI

Comment

FYI I just spent 1 day of work trying to get some 2D (not even 3D) for my Linux in order to continue to work...

I (unfortunately) came to agree with you.

Comment

trolling trolling trolling, keep them trolls a-trolling, raw hide.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      trolling trolling trolling, keep them trolls a-trolling, raw hide.
                      If you are referring me, this wasn't my intention. I only explained my situation and maybe it could help to others.

Comment

Working...
                      X