Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open ATI Driver To Receive PowerPlay Push?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open ATI Driver To Receive PowerPlay Push?

Phoronix: Open ATI Driver To Receive PowerPlay Push?

Besides the Radeon DRM improvements (and Radeon HDMI KMS audio) to be found in the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, there is more to be thankful for this holiday season when it comes to the open-source support. Up to this point when it comes to power management for ATI's kernel mode-setting support the work (Radeon DRM Power Management Moves Along) has been largely done by Rafa?? Mi??ecki, an independent open-source developer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to clarify this information has been available for r1xx-r5xx/rs6xx/rs740 for years now (since atombios.h was released). This adds the table definitions for r6xx/r7xx/rs780/rs880.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Just to clarify this information has been available for r1xx-r5xx/rs6xx/rs740 for years now (since atombios.h was released). This adds the table definitions for r6xx/r7xx/rs780/rs880.
      So why can't we overclock and/or change fan speeds on the older (r300-r500) harware then? Is it the ttm not being optimized, gpu acceleration not being optimized or powerplay code not being complete?

Comment

Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
        So why can't we overclock and/or change fan speeds on the older (r300-r500) harware then? Is it the ttm not being optimized, gpu acceleration not being optimized or powerplay code not being complete?
        There's no power management infrastructure to hook into and no one's written the code to do it.

Comment

WOW! This is incredible!

Were you saving this for Christmas on purpose?

I've say it is worth it though.

Didn't we get glxgears for R600 for Christmas last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            WOW! This is incredible!

Were you saving this for Christmas on purpose?

I've say it is worth it though.

Didn't we get glxgears for R600 for Christmas last year?
            Last year we got first hardware accelerated triangles.

Comment

There's no power management infrastructure to hook into and no one's written the code to do it.
              isn't it possible to create some interface, based on sysfs, to control clocks/fan speed?

Comment

cross kernel madness

I bet that the cross kernel madness is one of the main reason. To follow kernel abstraction, the DRM would have to include a power management abstraction which works on Linux and BSD. That abstraction will be easy to design with firmware loading but with power management, design is brought to a whole new level...

The cross-kernel thing is turning to a kludge. Better drop kernel abstraction, switch to GNU GPLv2 (I would go GNU Affero GPLv3 for GPU drivers), and code directly on Linux APIs and internal structures. BSD coders are smart enough to code drivers that will fit cleanely their kernel, since all the knowledge will already be available in Linux.

Comment

I seriously don't mean to start a flame war, but why are desktop users using BSD?

Don't people use BSD for its firewall?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    I seriously don't mean to start a flame war, but why are desktop users using BSD?
                    Many do: MacOS.

The big issue here is that MacOS is a proprietary and closed fork of Darwin which is a BSD. MacOS has many improvements that Dawin has not...
                    This is a part of the root of the BSD/GNU GPL flamewar.
                    "Thanks" to the BSD license, apple can improve and close the code witout publishing it. MacOS is closed and proprietary. With the GNU GPL, fairness (open source) is protected, enforced: you cannot close the code. It allows us to go after optimal code.
                    Most of GNU GPL coders are looking to have an *optimal* open source OS installed on systems. The GNU GPL helps towards that goal, but is not a silver bullet.
                    Regarding the GPUs drivers, since they are BSD, apple can rip that code, share secrets with nvidia/AMD/intel... in order to keep the optimal code for MacOS crippling the open source version (they did it for NTFS support for instance).
                    I do remenber BSD advocates saying that no company will be able to have a better proprietary fork of a BSD OS. They were wrong.
                    Last edited by sylware; 22 December 2009, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X