No announcement yet.

AMD Loses Its Linux Core Engineering Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note, it's sad that it took Matthew leaving the project for his work to finally be publicly appreciated to this extent. Even phoronix itself took jabs at fglrx's progress. Matthew is leaving now, and all of a sudden...
    AMD's Catalyst Linux driver has improved substantially over the past few years.
    I'm just saying, this is what myself and other people were trying to say when when we were getting trashed for defended fglrx's progress: It isn't perfect, but it's come a long way baby!

Comment

That's just about being polite. It's the same as if someone dies Even if everyone hated the person, the best of words are spoken at the funeral

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        [ All of this though has changed with AMD now providing same-day Linux support
        I bought an Asus HD5770 card on the strength of this and the glowing review that Phoronix gave the Linux capability of the 57xx cards. Here it is over two weeks later and there still are no Linux drivers for the 5770.

I tried the 5800 drivers and got "no device detected". I'm having to use the vesa driver in Kubuntu Karmic, with the consequent lack of capability.

I was pleased when I read about the increased support for Linux at ATI. I thought I would show my support for those who support my system, so I bought the 5770 card only to be disappointed yet again. Every time I've bought ATI, I've regretted it.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Yes, you do. You don't check if it's supported before buying it, which makes it your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFrog View Post
            I bought an Asus HD5770 card on the strength of this and the glowing review that Phoronix gave the Linux capability of the 57xx cards. Here it is over two weeks later and there still are no Linux drivers for the 5770.

I tried the 5800 drivers and got "no device detected". I'm having to use the vesa driver in Kubuntu Karmic, with the consequent lack of capability.

I was pleased when I read about the increased support for Linux at ATI. I thought I would show my support for those who support my system, so I bought the 5770 card only to be disappointed yet again. Every time I've bought ATI, I've regretted it.

Or am I doing something wrong?
            Same day support means that the driver is available for the purchaser of the silicon (ie: Asus in this case). In your case it looks like they elected not to include the driver AMD made available. Beyond that the general case is that you need to wait until that driver release appears in a Catalyst.

In general, the previously released Catalyst should work (with the watermark since the driver wasn't formally tested). The next Catalyst should pick it up. But it looks like in the case of the 57x0 the releases lined up that it will be the second Catalyst that has the support.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

I have a ATI Xpress 200M and it never worked correctly with the fglrx driver. There was always something wrong. Just when I would hope the next release they would fix my last issue, the new release would introduce new bugs. The thing that really got me with ATI driver releases was how inconsistent they were. It seemed like silly things would be broken like the installer or files were not updated correctly or just trivial stuff that shouldn't happen with a major software company. I wondered if the ATI driver even went through software testing before hitting the street. The last driver release for my card is Broken in Linux, this seems really silly.

I can say that I happily still using my ATI Xpress 200m but it's now working correctly because I'm using the open source driver.

Comment

Why is this thread slowly becoming a fglrx bashing thread?

@ mtippet
                Thank you, for beeing part of a team worked hard giving the fglrx driver we have today. For me it runs very fine :-)

Good luck with your next job.

Comment

Thanks for directly and indirectly inspiring my work on Radeon drivers. :3

Best of luck,
                  ~ C.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Yes, you do. You don't check if it's supported before buying it, which makes it your fault.
                    I read the review on Phoronix which gave me the impression that it was supported.

Comment

Thank you very much Matthew for all your efforts,and making the driver good enough that no one bothers to "name" them anymore.

At Palm, there's really only one thing I'd like you to push/do:
                      end the silly charade of the Pre pretending to be an iPod.

Of course, helping them to be good citizens in the Linux & open-source communities is also important.

Can't wait to read your Phoronix articles!

Comment

Working...
                      X