Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Loses Its Linux Core Engineering Manager

Phoronix: AMD Loses Its Linux Core Engineering Manager

AMD's Catalyst Linux driver has improved substantially over the past few years. Years ago the Catalyst Linux driver was in shambles with its performance being utterly poor, it lacked enthusiast-oriented features like CrossFire and OverDrive, and ATI customers had to wait months -- sometimes in excess of a year -- for any driver support in Linux. All of this though has changed with AMD now providing same-day Linux support, a near feature parity to the Windows Catalyst driver, and first-rate performance. Playing a critical role in improving the ATI Linux support has been Matthew Tippett, serving as the engineering manager for Linux Core Engineering since joining ATI Technologies in 2003. To put it in perspective, when Matthew started work at ATI, only the FireGL graphics cards were supported under Linux. However, today will be his last day serving ATI / Advanced Micro Devices.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really to bad to see him go. Its really nice when members of a company talk so often on forums, it gives the customers and the enthusiast a great perspective of whats going on. Thanks you Matthew!

"Aside from his involvement with the Phoronix Test Suite, Matthew will also be contributing some articles to Phoronix. "
    Cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: AMD Loses Its Linux Core Engineering Manager
      This would be an excellent opportunity for AMD to pull the plug on fglrx and shift development resources to the open source driver.

Matthew will also be contributing some articles to Phoronix.
      Great, I can't wait to read his article on UVD internals Anyway success with your new job Matthew.

Comment

[/QUOTE]Great, I can't wait to read his article on UVD internals [/QUOTE]

Don't think he will be introducing anything about the uvd internals, maybe after amd has released info about it.

@mtippett
        congrats with the new job. nice to hear you'll be involved with the testsuite and better yet writing articles for phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          This would be an excellent opportunity for AMD to pull the plug on fglrx and shift development resources to the open source driver.
          Yeah, except that right now fglrx is considerably further along that it's foss counterpart.

Comment

@mtippet: cheers mate!

Having used them since the r200 days, it's in no small part due to fglrx improvements that I've switched to a full-time linux user now.

Comment

Cheers

Good luck with your new job, Matthew And thanks for your great work at AMD.

Comment

Too bad I don't like palms

Good luck, though.

Comment

I would like to thank good man Matthew for every single words&comments in:

Matthew's successor at Advanced Micro Devices to lead their Catalyst Linux driver into the next decade is not yet known.
                  I'll bet that anonymous is A.D..

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    That's like people saying Opera should open-source their browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X