Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5770 Fail.

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
    Hello, thanks for the response. Do you happen to know if the driver in ubuntu supports the Radeon HD 5770 (I prefer to be lazy ).
    A hollow voice says 'No joy.' . . .

I've been an AMD fan since the 386DX-40 days. I'm disappointed that I can't get it to work properly. I've tried the RadeonHD 1.3 drivers from git, and I've tried the 9.10 Catalyst (fglrx 8.66.1) drivers from ATI.

I keep getting either a blank/black screen on starting X, or when I choose 1920x1080 resolution after fiddling, I get odd psychedelic colors and everything turns fuzzy. I get these results in Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10, Slack 13, Arch, and Chakra (basically Arch with add-ons). Briefly, on Ubuntu, I received the 'Unsupported Hardware' box on the lower-right of the screen, and I could get a widescreen resolution, but it wasn't the native resolution of 1920x1080.

I've been googling like a madman, but the best I've found is in a review here, that 8.67.4 supports the 5770/5750. I haven't managed to find that version, but I'm not a developer, so I'm probably not looking in the right places.

I'm not sure what people need to investigate the issue. I can't find where people have pasted the following, so . . .

After installing fglrx 9.10 from ATI's site:
    $ aticonfig --initial -f
    aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

lspci reports:
    $ lspci | grep ATI
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68b8
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa58

$ fglrxinfo
    X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 16
    Current serial number in output stream: 16

dmesg:
    $ dmesg | grep fglrx
    [ 10.445311] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
    [ 10.457105] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 7769 MBytes.
    [ 10.457147] [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 68b8 count: 1
    [ 10.457441] [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xa000, size: 0x100
    [ 10.457735] [fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled
    [ 10.457753] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.66.2 [Sep 23 2009] with 1 minors
    -------------

Edit: Of course, after Posting this, and running another search, Bridgman has some updated posts. . .
    Last edited by skytja; 28 October 2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

@MichaelPalin

Do you have got a watermark or nothing?

lspci -nn|grep VGA

Comment

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 hoping that it would work with my 2 5870 (using them for gaming in Windows 7) cards but no luck so far.

I tried installing the restricted drivers from ubuntu and all I got was a desktop image was not centered and some parts of kept flickering / were displayed twice and I got that "unsupported hardware" watermark in the bottom right corner.

I disabled the divers and downloaded the ones from ati.amd.com and I got the same result

I'm guessing that its because of my crossfire setup ... I tried enabling crossfire in CCC but it doesn't seem to be saving the settings. Is there a way to disable one of the 5870s?

Comment

When you say you "disabled the drivers" (restricted drivers from Ubuntu) was that a full uninstall (ie cd /usr/share/ati, sudo sh ./<uninstall script>) ?

If not you probably have some bits left over from the previous driver and those are interfering with the 9.10 install.
          Test signature

Comment

I ran the uninstall script before installing the drivers from ati.amd.com. I have also tried a clean install of ubuntu.

Its like its trying to send two images at once and they don't align.

I also tried enabling crossfire using aticonfig and it says:

CrossFire chain for adapter 0, status: enabled
            0. 02.00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
            1. 02.00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

But the problem is still there.

Edit: I removed one of the cards and reinstall ubuntu and the restricted drivers ... still having the same problem
            Last edited by shaker; 29 October 2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @MichaelPalin

Do you have got a watermark or nothing?

lspci -nn|grep VGA
              On Ubuntu 9.10 (RC1), I had a watermark using the included restricted Drivers, saying 'unsupported device'. but I couldn't set the resolution to 1920x1080. All other attempts with the various other Distros were blank screens with the card's fan maxed, I think. (Sapphire 5770)

# lspci -nn | grep VGA
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:68b8]

I'm re-installing from scratch right now, since I can't remember what I was doing, or where I left-off, in the wee-hours this morning when I crashed. I wanted to test the card with a supported OS, to rule-out a defective. I took it to work, and tested it in a friend's rig earlier today (Win 7, and XP SP3). The card seemed to work fine. Fan settled down, 1080p was no problem, videos all worked smoothly.

I'll try again with stock drivers and if I get the overlay, I'll try one of your License edits.

Thanks for all the help I've seen you and Bridgman giving to so many people.

Comment

I think you need the hack that will patch the fglrx_drv.so as the problem is the control file.

Comment

I gave up on the 9.10 drivers and installed the 9.11 beta drivers and everything seems to be perfect now

Comment

Originally posted by shaker View Post
                    I gave up on the 9.10 drivers and installed the 9.11 beta drivers and everything seems to be perfect now
                    Where did you get them from, please? Could you be so kind as to provide a link? I can't find anything about Catalyst and Linux on the ATI site and am having to use the vesa driver with my 5770. :-(

--
                    Cheers,
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFrog View Post
                      Where did you get them from, please? Could you be so kind as to provide a link? I can't find anything about Catalyst and Linux on the ATI site and am having to use the vesa driver with my 5770. :-(
                      Is it this one, maybe?

Comment

Working...
                      X